No Restore DVDs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by TheBrazilianGuy, Feb 15, 2007.

1. TheBrazilianGuy macrumors regular

Hi all,

A friend stopped by today to drop this question.

He bought an iMac (new, non refurb) from Apple 6 months ago.
    Everything was ok and he was pleased to switch from his Windows box.
    Then, yesterday he discovered that the original box did not
    have the restoration DVDs :)eek:). He now wants to know what to do.

Well, although it does not hurt to ask, I do not think he will get
    these DVDs from the local Apple Store.

Is he screwed ?

Thanks for any suggestion.

2. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

probably out of luck. if he saw this earlier, then he'd probably get them. why would apple believe that they didn't come with it? he could have lost them or something.

you never know though

3. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I always thought that was stupid, as is the forum Nazi's here who ask if you're including the disc for the OS/iLife that came with your system. The computer OBVIOUSLY came with them.

Owning an iMac CLEARLY means you bought a copy of OSX. There's no choice. It's not like calling MS and saying you didn't get Windows with your box... you can buy computers without it, whereas you can't get a Mac w/o OSX.

Why would he have noticed not having the discs when he bought the computer, anyways? You don't need them for anything when you unbox it. I'd call Apple and insist they send you a set of restore discs for that computer. Since there's no serial number associated with OSX or iLife it's not they are issuing a new license, just replacing the media, which you could get through any number of dishonest means.

4. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

well the disks are one of the first things that you see when you open the box, and are with the manual and stickers. i would notice right away if mine didn't come with them.

like i said, it would be different if he noticed earlier. but, just my opinion, he can always go to the apple store and try

5. TheBrazilianGuy thread starter macrumors regular

Indeed.

He does not have any problem (yet) but in the long road
    ahead, he might need these DVDs. I believe the Apple Store
    would argue that he could just bring the iMac there (in case of need)
    but it is obviously not convenient to do so.

Let's see what he will hear from them this weekend.

6. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I always notice when I get a new Mac that the discs are there. Mainly because first thing I do is a reinstall. It's not necessary but I like to verify the media works in the event I do need them. Then if they don't work later I know it's probably a computer issue and not a media issue.

7. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

That's a great idea. :)

8. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

"Enthusiasts" like many of us notice these things right away. But there's NO reason that an average person needs the discs, nor would notice their absence during an uboxing. Think of the typical "your mom" type of person, and if they would notice something missing that they didn't need right then. Plus, all of my Apple discs have been inside a little cardboard sleeve, along with some other stuff. It's perfectly possible to see the sleeve and think "there's the discs" and not realize they're not actually there.

In any case, buying a Mac clearly licenses you to a copy of OSX and since the discs do not include any sort of license in and of themselves getting a replacement from Apple SHOULDN'T be an issue.

9. TheBrazilianGuy thread starter macrumors regular

I think my friend was overwhelmed with the sight of his first Mac. :D

10. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

well my mom doesn't know where the power button is, so kind of a bad comparision.

to me, the only issue is that he can't prove that the disks didn't come with the mac. they might not care anyways and just give them to him, but you never know.

i'm not saying that he doesn't have a license for the the software, but what if he just threw away the box with the disks in it?