No Revamped Apple TV or iWatch Expected at WWDC

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 2, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Apple does not have plans to use the company's upcoming Worldwide Developers Conference to debut new Apple TV hardware, its related software, or the iWatch, reports John Paczkowski of Re/code.

Citing sources familiar with Apple's plans, Paczkowski confirms that Apple's big announcements will focus on OS X 10.10, iOS 8, and possibly Healthbook, an app Apple is said to be developing to aggregate fitness and health information.

Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference, which starts on June 2, has historically been used as a platform for unveiling new operating system software. Apple has, however, occasionally debuted new hardware at the event, including new MacBook Airs in 2013 and the Retina Macbook Pro in 2012.

Though the company does not have plans to unveil an updated Apple TV set-top box at WWDC, the product is said to be in the works. The revamped box is rumored to include an App Store, gaming support, iOS 7 controller integration, and possibly new content deals.

Apple may have had plans to debut the box earlier in 2014, but according to a recent product roadmap from often reliable analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, we may not see an updated Apple TV until the third quarter of 2014.

As for the iWatch, which also remains in development, a late 2014 release date is expected.

Article Link: No Revamped Apple TV or iWatch Expected at WWDC
  2. macrumors 68020

Nov 4, 2008
  3. macrumors regular

Jan 20, 2014
  4. macrumors 68000

Jul 22, 2010
    United Kingdom
    WWDC was always meant to about software, not hardware. Nothing surprising here.
  5. macrumors 68020

May 19, 2011
    Leicestershire, UK
    I think this was pretty much expected. Apple will use WWDC to outline major design changes to OSX and slight changes and updates to iOS. There may be a slight hint at Mac hardware, but nothing outside of that really. WWDC is about software, not hardware - ultimately.
  6. macrumors 6502a

Jun 18, 2010
    For those of us looking for big news out of WWDC it's going to be a boring and disappointing keynote. And a big Fall. I hope.
  7. macrumors member

Mar 28, 2014
  8. macrumors 6502a

Dec 31, 2012
    Buffalo, NY
    well they tend to just show more software than hardware at WWDC so this doesn't surprise me. They will probably have a separate event for those since they are kind of a big deal
  9. pk7
    macrumors 6502

Sep 27, 2011
    I've always wondered whether the iWatch is a question of if or when.

We haven't seen any part leaks or any code leaks indicating a new device.

The only evidence we have so far is the fact that Apple is moving towards a focus on health. There're also the iWatch domain names being snapped up by Apple, but I don't think that that solidifies anything.
  10. macrumors regular

Oct 9, 2010
    That's disappointing. But a new iPhone and Ives-designed OS X will be more than enough for me.
  11. macrumors 65816

Oct 9, 2012
    As long as we get a memorable quote from Phil, we're good ;)
  12. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Jul 16, 2002
    What nobody was expecting isn't going to happen. Sounds like news to me.
  13. macrumors 68000

Nov 19, 2013
  14. macrumors regular

Jan 20, 2014
    It'd be surprising if they announce iOS 8 Healthbook whitout the iWatch :confused:
  15. macrumors 68000

Nov 24, 2010
    They could at least show the new software for the ATV. That thing needs an update badly.
  16. macrumors member

Jul 14, 2008
    What about iPhone? With all of these iPhone 6 leaks, maybe we'll see the 4.7 inch iPhone 6 announced at WWDC. Then the September event can focus on the iWatch, Apple TV, and the 5.5 or 5.7 inch iPhone 6.
  17. macrumors 6502a

Mar 1, 2011
    You are probably right but they'll have to announce something or the stock will tank. I was hoping for an Apple TV SDK for better gaming support of iOS devices though.
  18. macrumors 68030

Nov 23, 2011
    If the iWatch is coming out this year, it will be demoed at WWDC so that developers can have an opportunity to optimise their software for the new hardware. As Nike pulled out of their tech wearable hardware business very recently, the timing would suggest that Apple would demo their iWatch in a month's time.

If they don't then it's almost certain the iWatch will be demoed and released in 2015, though I'm keeping my fingers crossed and still half-suspect it'll be shown very soon.
  19. macrumors 68030

Oct 17, 2007
    Fort Worth, TX
    Updated MacBook Pros and iMacs is what I am concerned with!!

I am holding off on my purchase until WWDC for this specific reason.
  20. macrumors 6502a

Sep 16, 2006
    Revealing new AppleTV along with an App Store for it would be the cherry on top in a developers conference. Same for the iWatch.

I don't know why Cook would "not use WWDC to unveil this".
  21. macrumors 68020

Apr 2, 2008
    exactly. I feel like they won't announce Healthbook yet unless it'll somehow be able to function with other 3rd party fitness accessories or if it can track certain things that the iPhone is already capable of tracking.

I expect new Macs, iOS 8 and OS X 10.10, but nothing more.

looks like there will be an event in September and one in October.
  22. macrumors regular

Aug 12, 2002
    If true, that would be a bummer not only for not having a new Apple TV, but it seems like if a new Apple TV has an SDK, they'd announce it at WWDC.

The iWatch I can kind of understand not announcing if it won't have an SDK (initially).
  23. macrumors 6502

Jun 5, 2006
    iOS 8 and OSX 10.10.

This is a developer conference. They haven't announced hardware there beyond Macs in 3 years, I believe. Also, they're probably going to announce the retina 12" Airs.
  24. macrumors 68040

Jan 8, 2013
    i really like this concept of Apple TV and that remote controls with touch panels and colour match of the product, its really like Apple premium product

And for WWDC i really exited for the new interface for MACOS
  25. macrumors 68000

Apr 23, 2009
    If apple is going to release an App Store for Apple TV I fully expect them to show off the new tv interface at WWDC. If we don't see it then I expexct the Apple TV App Store will be limited to select third parties that apple allows to release apps.