Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tigersoup

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
hey all, please help me with this problem:

My itunes has the Ringtone Tab under library, but when i plug in my iphone 4, there is no ringtone tab for the device. When i click under Device, on my Xx's iphone, these are the only tabs that appeared:

Summary - Info - App - Music - Movies - TVShows - Photos

How do i get the ringtone tab to appear??

And how do i change my .m4a file to m4r? i'm using windows XP.

webbuzz

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2010
hey all, please help me with this problem:

My itunes has the Ringtone Tab under library, but when i plug in my iphone 4, there is no ringtone tab for the device. When i click under Device, on my Xx's iphone, these are the only tabs that appeared:

Summary - Info - App - Music - Movies - TVShows - Photos

How do i get the ringtone tab to appear??

It sounds like you have never added a custom ringtone. Is that correct? Simply drag a ringtone into your itunes library, it will create the ringtone tab.

Try audiko.net to find a ringtone.

Tigersoup

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
It sounds like you have never added a custom ringtone. Is that correct? Simply drag a ringtone into your itunes library, it will create the ringtone tab.

Try audiko.net to find a ringtone.

Hey webbuzz! Thanks for the help! Now everything is good! Thank you! :)

X2thaP

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2010

You need to make sure windows is showing you the file extensions, so that you can see xxx.m4a or xxx.m4r and so on.
If that's the case you just click the song you need to change the extension from, click it again (so no double-clicking,
just two clicks say a second from each other, whatever) so that you can change the filename.
Then you just change the 'a' in xxx.m4a into an 'r' for xxx.m4r, that should be it. You can now drag your song/ringtone to iTunes.

Do make sure your song/ringtone is no longer than 30 seconds, if not iTunes will not accept it as a ringtone I believe.

Hope this helps.

*edit* just reloaded the page and see you you already got it.

Tigersoup

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
You need to make sure windows is showing you the file extensions, so that you can see xxx.m4a or xxx.m4r and so on.
If that's the case you just click the song you need to change the extension from, click it again (so no double-clicking,
just two clicks say a second from each other, whatever) so that you can change the filename.
Then you just change the 'a' in xxx.m4a into an 'r' for xxx.m4r, that should be it. You can now drag your song/ringtone to iTunes.

Do make sure your song/ringtone is no longer than 30 seconds, if not iTunes will not accept it as a ringtone I believe.

Hope this helps.

*edit* just reloaded the page and see you you already got it.

Hey! thanks for the help too! but how do i make them show me the file extension? they don't show me the .m4a when i try to rename, so i can't rename it no matter what i did. That was my MAIN problem actually.

X2thaP

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2010
Hey! thanks for the help too! but how do i make them show me the file extension? they don't show me the .m4a when i try to rename, so i can't rename it no matter what i did. That was my MAIN problem actually.

ohkay, well, I'm not on windows, but as far as I remember you have to open any folder on your hard drive, like 'My Computer' for example. Then select from 'Tools', 'Folder Options', then click the 'View' tab. There you should see 'Hide extensions for known file types' somewhere, uncheck the box (so windows DOESN'T hide them), and then save/ok.

Click here for the full info with pictures (but what I said is basically it).

Tigersoup

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
ohkay, well, I'm not on windows, but as far as I remember you have to open any folder on your hard drive, like 'My Computer' for example. Then select from 'Tools', 'Folder Options', then click the 'View' tab. There you should see 'Hide extensions for known file types' somewhere, uncheck the box (so windows DOESN'T hide them), and then save/ok.

Click here for the full info with pictures (but what I said is basically it).

okay! i got it now! thanks! Thanks for the pictures too (i did use it :x). haha. :D

X2thaP

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2010
Well, they're not my pictures and it's not my website or anything, just looked it up for you in order to make life easier.

Glad I could help.

Bojo

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2011
No ringtone tab

I have itunes 10.2 and and new iphone 4 and the ringtone tab is not appearing in itunes. Help please:(

milani

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
I have itunes 10.2 and and new iphone 4 and the ringtone tab is not appearing in itunes. Help please:(

Again, import a ringtone into iTunes and it will automatically create the necessary tabs.

Bojo

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2011
Again

I just bought 30 of them from itunes and there just sitting there!! No tab yet!

nanaloveby

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2011
Thank You!

Hello webbuzz,

I'm just a passerby trying to look for a solution for the same problem as Tigersoup raised ("no ringtone tab in iTunes/ the device").

Your reply is so clear and helpful, thank you so much.
Have a great weekend.

Regards,
nana:)

nanaloveby

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2011
Thank You!

Hello webbuzz,

I'm just a passerby trying to look for a solution for the same problem as Tigersoup raised ("no ringtone tab in iTunes/ the device").

Your reply is so clear and helpful, thank you so much.
Have a great weekend.

Regards,
nana:)

airynmanj

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2012
Well, they're not my pictures and it's not my website or anything
a112.jpg

d0eb0y

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2012
I too was having the same issue with the tones tab, and everyone saying that dragging into itunes will create the tab..i created my tone in itunes and now where do i drag it too if its allready in there??? hmm???

Answer!
In itunes you have to click on EDIT > PREFERENCES
And under the General option..in Sources...check off the Ringtones (Tones) option, along with any other option you may want under your itunes library and there you have it.

Keep the change and have a nice day!
LACE UP

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.