No screenshots while playing a DVD?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by KingYaba, Aug 18, 2006.

1. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I never knew this until yesterday but when I was playing the Simpsons DVD I wanted to take a pic of Homer. So I paused and try to take a screeny. Evidently I get the alert sound and it won't. Any reason?

EDIT: Using DVD Player App Version 4.6.5

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

3. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

cmd-shift-4 didn't work for you? I believe it has worked for me in the past with videos... :confused:

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

If you're using DVD Player, Apple has disabled screenshots. You can work around it in Terminal...follow this advice. Or use VLC to play your DVDs.

5. brepublican macrumors 6502a

brepublican

I've never tried it while using iDVD, but I've heard its not supposed to work. If you're still trying to get Homer, fire up VLC :)

EDIT: WildCowboy beat me to it

6. KingYaba thread starter macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Yeah, I forgot VLC plays dvds. :p but I was using the DVD app (because it's set by default...) I'll have to rememer that.

Any reason behind Apple disabling screenshots while using the DVD player? Copywrite issues?

7. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Probably...kinda silly, but they've continued doing it for a long time now. :rolleyes:

8. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Ah yes, I must always take my screenshots in VLC then, never DVD Player... come to think of it, I never use DVD Player for anything...

9. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

10. MacNeXT macrumors 6502

11. LastBreath macrumors member

LastBreath

:eek:

I had the same problem while trying to use grab to take a photo of me skydiving. I sort of gave up and forgot about it, very happy there is a work around :cool:

12. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

The best media player there is. You don't need anything else when you have VLC. ;) :cool:

13. funkychunkz macrumors 6502a

funkychunkz

Don't try playing DVD's in iDVD, it's read support is still rather limited still.

I hate VLC with a passion, it can't play anything I have, and I can't figure out why. Why use a different media player when there is a plethora of screenshot tools available?

14. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

What on earth are you trying to play with it? :confused: 99% of the people here, including myself, will swear by the exact opposite - with few exceptions, VLC will play anything and everything thrown at it. AVI, MPEG, MOV, DIVX, VOB, even BIN/CUE files! The only format I know it has issues with is WMV, but QT can handle those with F4M, so between those 2 players, I haven't come across one single video file which I could not play on my Mac.