No Serial Number

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Clawn, May 20, 2002.

1. Clawn macrumors newbie

More i-book problems:

The Apple System profiler does not show the Serial Number of the computer

(ibook, g3, 600mhz, 256 ram)

Any suggestions?

Thanks

clawn

2. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

huh?

Why is that a "problem?"

And why do you say MORE ibook "problems?"

3. firewire2001 macrumors 6502a

you can jus look at the serial on the bottom of the computer.... :rolleyes:

4. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

Actually, this happened to me with my rig (G4/533). My problem was taken very seriously by Apple Support. Tier-2 support was calling me 2 or 3 times a day to give me a list of things to do to try to get it to appear again. None were working.

They seemed very anxious to get to the bottom of the "missing" serial. I think this problem is rare, but it's obviously something Apple dosen't like.

Luckily enough, by HD failed (a ball-bearing popped out) and they replaced it free, of course, through AppleCare. When I booted the machine my serial was back. Never had that problem since.

PS: One thing that still occurs from time-to-time is when waking my machine from Sleep, my audio goes mute and there seems no way to get it back (mute button is unchecked and I can still control volume - no sounds though). I have to reboot and then I've got my sound back. Does this happen to anyone else.

5. King Cobra macrumors 603

I think this happened with iTunes and sleep under OS X 10.1. I assume this has been fixed, since I am running 10.1.3 and it hasn't happened since. So it might have been a software glitch.

Any time is a great time for iPod.
    Working on avatar and new signature...
    Planning to retire the current signature.

6. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

10.1.3? :confused:

Get thee to Software Update!

7. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Re: huh?

If something is built in to the system profiler, and it's designed to go get information from the computer, and it doesn't, it's not doing its job. I would consider that a problem!

My G4 400 PCI doesn't show the serial number in the Apple System Profiler, but it's also an older model, so maybe that has something to do with it, I dunno. I had to retrieve my serial number awhile back to get a replacement mouse covered under warranty, and I guarantee it would have been much easier to go to the profiler than have to pull my tower out and crane my neck at weird angles! I'm sure my countless hours in front of the computer are doing me enough good as it is... :rolleyes:

8. Clawn thread starter macrumors newbie

solution

...zapping the p-ram did bring it back...

9. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

The Apple tech's left a little utility on my last TiBook that can put the serial number back into the computer. They needed to use it since they replaced the motherboard a couple of times. I believe that it only runs under OS 9.x though. I put it on my external drive, so that I have it just in case I ever need it. :D

10. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

What's the name of the utility? Maybe it's available online. Sounds like something I might be able to use.

11. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I will look for it tonight on my external drive and let you know. If you really need it, I might be able to email it to you. Unless you have a iDisk that I could slide it to. :D

12. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Thanks AlphaTech, much obliged.

Sure thing! You can drop it in my public folder if you like. My iTools username is "bomb" :D

13. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

Re: solution

I hope so, but I wouldn't be too sure.

As I remember, zapping the p-ram solved my missing serial problem short term. Continue checking it. I remember that the serial dissappeared again after a few restarts.

Just keep an eye on her...

14. icetraxxg5 macrumors 6502

I can't get a serial # on my iBook either! Can you drop that app in my public folder also? iTools Handle: icetraxxg5
    Thanks!

15. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Whoever needs the little utility (looks like it is for OS 9.x, not X) drop me a message (private ones are allowed). Put an email address that I can slide the file to, and I will.