Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vegan TJ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 3, 2008
WTF is going on ... any help ..oh its jailbroken ..which doesnt matter cause its been jailbroken for awhile now and it just started a few hours ago

StoneColdSober

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2008
WTF is going on ... any help ..oh its jailbroken ..which doesnt matter cause its been jailbroken for awhile now and it just started a few hours ago

Have you tried powering the phone off and then back on? A hard reset? A restore? Who is your carrier?

A little more info would make it easier for people to help out.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

Start with one, if it doesn't work, move to the next...

Toggle airplane mode
Toggle 3G
Reboot
Restore
Call 611
Return phone

Vegan TJ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 3, 2008
Have you tried powering the phone off and then back on? A hard reset? A restore? Who is your carrier?

A little more info would make it easier for people to help out.

i have restarted it many times i have resetnetwork settings i have put it in airplane mode then restarted i have cleared cache history cookies hard resets

i have att it was working fine a few hours ago then all of the sudden just stopped

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

Call AT&T. What else is anyone here gonna tell you?

Vegan TJ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 3, 2008

Start with one, if it doesn't work, move to the next...

Toggle airplane mode
Toggle 3G
Reboot
Restore
Call 611
Return phone

how do you toggle airplane mode and there is no 3g where i am at...

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC

Come on dude, get to know your phone a little better...you post here a lot.

Settings>Airplane Mode

Vegan TJ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 3, 2008

Come on dude, get to know your phone a little better...you post here a lot.

Settings>Airplane Mode

oh i have already done that...and i know my iphone VERY VERY well..but after i have tried everything i come to this board to see if there is anything new i havent tried

StoneColdSober

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2008
oh i have already done that...and i know my iphone VERY VERY well..but after i have tried everything i come to this board to see if there is anything new i havent tried

At this point you need to try calling AT&T and see if there is an outage.

StoneColdSober

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2008
nope my girlfriend just got a new iphone today and is sitting next to me with no problems

Sounds like you will need to see a genius. Try doing a restore back to official firmware (which you will want to do before going to a genius anyway) and if still no go then set up the genius appointment.

Sonicjay

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2008
This happened to me a week and a half ago. The phone portion of my 3G suddenly died. Called AT&T; no outtages. The damn phone just died. First I rebooted it, then I restored with a backup restore, then I restored and setup as a new phone, tried disabling 3G, etc. Dead. I put my SIM in my first gen phone and reactivated it until morning when the Apple store opened to replace it.

demiurgical

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2007
NYC
This happened to me lastnight, "No Service". Where are you located? I was in Manhattan in the west village when it happened. restarted, etc. Nothing then I had to get on the subway to go home. got to Queens and it worked again right away.

I plan to call AT&T to get some credit back since if I'm not getting 100% service I shouldn't be paying for it 100%. Especially with the data being really really bad in Manhattan these pass weeks. It's definitely not the iPhone because when I'm in Queens it works fine.

~.

tcp13equals2

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2008
No Service in Manhattan but ok in Jersey

This has happened to me too.

iPhone 3G went into No Service mode on Saturday in Manhattan (Chelsea, Flat Iron area) ... but worked fine in Jersey.

I did a full phone reset and it has come back to life now.

Shiteful service.

Dizle

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2008
The Beach
after the new update mine randomly shows "no service" for the hell of it and I have to turn phone off and on. pain in the butt and if the problem persists I'm taking it back to apple...

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
It is pwnage 2.1 that is causing the issue. Basically your phone is NOT activated and hence the reason why you have no service. Try restore to factory default and QuickPwn it instead of using Pwnage 2.1.

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
I saw that once... switched to EDGE and got signal again... switched back to 3G and there was "No Service" again.

This begs the question, is the iPhone really so primitive that it's either 3G or EDGE? Every 3G phone I've used before the iPhone automatically reverts to EDGE if the 3G signal isn't good enough. Sometimes it will switch seamlessly several times during a call, that's how it's supposed to work. There should never be "No Service" unless you're out of range for both 3G and EDGE, or if both are down due to a power outage or whatever.

If the iPhone does in fact lock to either 3G or EDGE, there's no wonder it keeps dropping calls in 3G mode. Something tells me it cannot possibly be that primitive, but then again it does have Bluetooth that isn't good for anything except pairing with a headset...

bluenoise

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
I saw that once... switched to EDGE and got signal again... switched back to 3G and there was "No Service" again.

This begs the question, is the iPhone really so primitive that it's either 3G or EDGE? Every 3G phone I've used before the iPhone automatically reverts to EDGE if the 3G signal isn't good enough. Sometimes it will switch seamlessly several times during a call, that's how it's supposed to work. There should never be "No Service" unless you're out of range for both 3G and EDGE, or if both are down due to a power outage or whatever.

If the iPhone does in fact lock to either 3G or EDGE, there's no wonder it keeps dropping calls in 3G mode. Something tells me it cannot possibly be that primitive, but then again it does have Bluetooth that isn't good for anything except pairing with a headset...

Even after the 2.1 update, mine still has issues going from 3G to EDGE automatically. It'll display "No Service" for over a minute before finally figuring out there is plenty of EDGE signal available. I just leave 3G off anyway, but it would be nice if it worked properly all the time.

manhattanmania

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2007

i posted on this a few weeks ago... this happened to me too. not jailbroken. i had to fight w/ the apple store "genius" to get him to replace the phone when all the software fixes wouldnt work. he tried to blame ATT but i persisted bc i knew it was the phone. my new phone has been working amazingly better than the old one did and this problem no longer occurs. id get it replaced.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.