No SIM Card Installed

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by cycocelica, Jan 20, 2008.

1. macrumors 68000

cycocelica

So I updated to 1.1.3 and have no received a ton of problems.

First, I was getting a weak signal when before, I had a strong one. Now the iPhone is telling me that there is no SIM card installed. Which blows my mind because the user doesn't install a SIM card, but whatever. How would you go about fixing this? Do I have to send it to Apple?

I had tried restore and resetting everything. Nothing helps.

2. macrumors 68000

make sure the sim is in correctly
    or take it back

3. thread starter macrumors 68000

cycocelica

how do you get access to the SIM card?

And

Would this void my warranty?

4. macrumors 6502a

No silly, the SIM card is your authentication smartcard. Just take it out and put it back in. There is a tray on the top of the phone. Eject the tray, reseat the card, and put it back in.

5. macrumors 68030

CD3660

Sim Card tray is in the top of the phone and has a very small hole on one edge. Use a paper clip pushed into the hole to release the tray.

Does not void warranty, but handle with care as the tray is quite flimsy.

6. macrumors member

I have been having this same problem and removing and reseating the SIM card has not helped. It seems even worse after upgrading to 1.1.3. I also have far less or no service in areas I previously did. It appears to be fixed by turning the phone off and back on again, but I fear that may work against me for trying to get it fixed. I'm going to try to go the Apple Store today.

7. macrumors member

So I went to the Apple Store and asked about this. They cleaned out my SIM tray with compressed air and it appears to have fixed the problem. I was told that the tray itself is a contact for the SIM card so it won't function properly if its dirty. I was also told that if it didnt fix the problem, that they would replace the phone. Hope that helps.

8. macrumors regular

lucface

nice! thank you. it worked for me. full bars and good to go.