No Sleep Again

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by BicyclePunk, Feb 1, 2004.

1. BicyclePunk macrumors regular

Ok...I have posted and replied about sleep before. But this is a new one. For one or more of the following reasons, my Dual G5 machine will not fall asleep. I can put it to sleep through the apple menu, but it won'd fall asleep as I have set it up to through the Energy Saver system pref.

Latest QuickTime and OSX security software updates: I ran the software update last week, after a couple months of updating, and these were installed.

Screensaver download: Downloaded some funky liqifying screensaver as recommended by cNet. Removed this after I suspected it might be why I won't fall asleep.

MPlayer download: Installed this app for playing all sorts of video formats. Again...trashed this in expectation that it might be giving my machine some uppers, forcing it to stay awake.

These are the only three things I have done differently that might have caused this. It was working fine before all of this.

Any advice and ideas would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

2. wadetemp macrumors newbie

You might try unplugging all USB devices you have plugged in. I once had a hyper-active CF reader that was keeping my computer up at night.

3. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Make sure Print Center is closed. I've found that when it's open, my iBook won't sleep unless I close the lid or choose sleep from the menu.

ft

4. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

For one reason or another, my G5 had sleep problems too. They include turning the screen off, then waking right back up again, or sleeping but crashing and turning all the fans up. Then, one day, I opened up my G5, took the hd, superdrive, video card, ram, and airport card out, then put them back in, and these things stopped. The only thing different is no dust (and i forgot to install the removable processor fans, but don't get mad at me, it's fine). Good luck on yours,
    –Chase

5. BicyclePunk thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I had all kinds of screwy problems when I got the G5 and installed Panther. Couldn't get the thing to sleep. Installed the OS from the ground up and gradually added all my peripherals and apps. I don't know what happened, but it worked. But now it is all screwy again....out of the blue (aside from the three things I mentioned previously)

6. mattmack macrumors 6502a

mattmack

I just purchased a Dual G5 1.8 (rev B) and the only problem I have had is that when it goes to sleep that fans go to full and it will not wake up. I am running 10.3.4. The only thing I have added was a PCI usb card. I guess I can try to take it out and see what happens. Any other suggestions
    ?
    Thanks

7. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

He he, yeah, I wish that my post still held up. Well, I found out I had a bad SuperDrive cable or drive or something when the issues popped back up and I took it to an authorized repair center. Well, the G5 is still having problems, but I have AppleCare, so I'm going to wait it out until any new releases don't have problems. Then I'll ask for a replacement or something. As for you, send it back and get a replacement if you can. Complain, and they will take notice. Good luck!
    –Chase

8. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

it's not a bug, it's a feature! your g5s are telling you to fold.

<"spooky" voice>
    fold! fold on me!
    </"spooky" voice>

9. BicyclePunk thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah....good luck with the complaining. I've complained and sent letters...in both constructive and yelling manners...to no avail. Apple's Customer Care sucks.

Anyway...I basically completely reformatted my machine and plugged the power in as close to the wall outlet as possible (as opposed to plugging it into a power strip which is plugged into another power strip). Then I installed apps and peripherals one by one and waited for the problem to re-occur. So far it hasn't. Now I just get kernel panics all the time for no reason.....ahhhhh. Such fun.

10. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

I know everyone has different experience with Customer Service, but I've never had to go to any lengths to get something taken care of (hence I said that).

I've surprisingly only had one kernel panic on my machine, but I launched every application on it to see what would happen and what Expose would look like :p. When do you usually get the panics?
    –Chase

11. BicyclePunk thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah...I'm just bitter about them right now...for the last year, actually.

Anyway...I get the kernel panics a few times per day. No rhyme or reason to them at all. I do notice that it seems they most often happen when I open Photoshop. But they also just happen all of a sudden any time. Of course, every few panics, or so....some of my Entrourage settings are erased. Entourage will open and think I am creating a new user. Weird. Oh...and after a couple panics, ALL of my PhotoShop CS preferences were erased. Actions and all. Doooooh!

12. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

You're getting multiple Kernel Panics a day and you're worried about your Energy Saver settings? I've never had one, not in three and a half years. Something is wrong, dude. Something is very wrong. Are you out of warranty? If not, there is no reason that Apple shouldn't take care of this.

13. BicyclePunk thread starter macrumors regular

No...my computer is sleeping fine. It has been for months. I originally posted this thread back in February.

But yeah...I never had a kernel panic until I got the dual 2.0 G5 and put Pather on it. It's screwy. BOTH of the processors on this machine fried a month after I bought it. I have AppleCare now, but no time to be away from the machine. I'm just going to take a whole day soon and re-format the whole machine. Start over. If it still does it, I'll suck it up and buy a back up computer and take this in and get fixed. It's tough because of the sporadiness of it. Ah.

14. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

No clue if this will work, but you can try to get an immediate replacement because of your work. They know that they provide computers to professionals that can't have downtime. If not, there are services probably near your area where you can rent a mac for a few days while they fix it. My experience is AppleCare is pretty fast, and you shouldn't have to wait more than a week if you need to send it in.
    –Chase

15. BicyclePunk thread starter macrumors regular

yeah...I just have to suck it up and take the time to call AppleCare and see what they say. Hopefully they can help and/or tell my local Apple Store to loan me one. Thanks!