No sleep for my PowerBook?!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by RndmAxess, Jan 13, 2004.

1. nolem macrumors member

Jan 9, 2004
    i dont think it was meant to go to sleep, or at least past the screen saver. But you might as well just close the lid if you want it to sleep.
  2. billyboy macrumors 65816

Mar 15, 2003
    In my head
    I have been having PB sleep problems, Scrapping the relevant preference file solves the problem for me.

Go to HD>Library>Preferences>System Configuration>

Drag a copy of the file to your desktop and drag the original to the trash and empty the trash. (Advising you to make a copy of what is probably a corrupt file is a bit daft because OSX automatically creates a new preference file on start up anyway - but its supposed to be good practice to make backups )

There should be no powermanagement preference in the folder now, so log out.

Log in. Behind the scenes OSX will create a new power management preference file.

Go to System Preferences and just alter the timings for sleeping your screen and Mac. Dont interfere with any other options for alarm wake ups etc.

You should be able to sleep the Mac from the Apple menu and by shutting the lid too. Hopefully it sleeps automatically on time.

If it is sleeping OK, you can dump the copied preference file on your desktop and empty trash. (If for some reason the sleep situation is worse, just replace the new preference with the one saved on your desktop, log out, log in.)

However, you should have sleep working by this time, so maybe reset some more energy preferences. If you want to be geeky and find out what is causing the file to corrupt, change settings elsewhere in Energy preferences one at a time, then sleep from the Apple. It could also be USB hubs, or the wake from ethernet access if you are online could keep it awake. ......

Hope that makes sense.
  3. RndmAxess thread starter macrumors regular

Nov 3, 2002
  4. RndmAxess thread starter macrumors regular

Nov 3, 2002