no sleep when shutting tibook

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by purduematt, May 11, 2003.

1. purduematt macrumors newbie

i did a quick search, but couldn't find anything. i was wondering if it is possible to not have my tibook go to sleep when i shut it. if anybody know how this could be accomplished i would be grateful.

thanks, matt

2. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

is n t it possible to just put it to sleep, and than shut it ? dunno but that might work just as well huh?

3. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I don't have a powerbook but I'm sure this is a feature that they have. Have you checked the energy control pane?

4. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

ok, you don't want your TiBook to go to sleep when you close the screen?

yes, you can do that. i've done it a couple of times by plugging in my mouse when the TiBook is in sleep. it then wakes up, and should stay like that. you should also check out Apple's Knowledge Base. i'm sure there'd be something about it in there.

also, could i ask why you want to do this? if it's just to use the headphones or something with the screen closed that should be OK. but if you want to use an external monitor then you shouldn't try that. in the TiBook manual it says that you should not use an external monitor when the screen is closed because of the heat that is created.

5. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

cb911--i think one use of this is that you can close the lid and keep music running, or something like that. the problem with getting it to wake up by plugging in a mouse is that it goes to sleep first when you close the lid, then wakes up when you plug in the mouse. but without an external display, you cant resume your music playing. i think he want's something to have it not go to sleep in the first place, and i haven't been able to figure out how to do that. it's probably not allowed, as that's probably got some safety/heating issues or something.

6. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Yeah now that I think of it there would definitely be a heating issue.