no sound after wake up, have 2 reboot?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by dMac2k3, Feb 23, 2003.

1. dMac2k3 macrumors newbie

Hey, I was hoping someone could help me out with a problem that i've been having lately.

It's happened a couple of times after I wake my eMac up from sleeping........I get no sound, and my iTunes doesn't play. It doesn't happen everytime. But, it may have happened about 5 or 6 times within the last 2 weeks. My friend seems 2 think it may have something 2 do with 10.2.4...........b/c it didn't happen b4 the update. And in order 2 get any sound and 2 get iTunes running again, I have 2 reboot the whole computer. Any ideas on what the problem could b is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

ROCK ON!!!!

d

2. timbloom macrumors 6502a

timbloom

wow, your typing in shorthand is rather annoying to read, but anyways....

A lot of people are having similar audio problems with OS 10.2.4 and .3. I have soundsticks that cease functioning most often during a conversation in ichat. I have tried many fixes, but have not come up with anything yet. When and if I find a fix, I will post it, but till then I am forced to be muted till reboot time, or use headphones.

3. timbloom macrumors 6502a

timbloom

this is a post from the discussions at apple that might help you out
    I am in no way responible if you try this:
    This problem was present in the 10.2.3 update as well. I'm using SoundSticks on my Quicksilver computer, and this is annoying. The fix is simple - you'll need to replace the following file:

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleOnboardAudio.kext

You'll need to log in as "root", replace the file, delete the two FILES in the "/System/Library" directory that begin with the word "Extensions", and reboot. After rebooting, be sure to run file permission repair utility and reboot again. Problem fixed.

Version 1.8.4 of this file, which ships with OS 10.2.4, is the culprit. I'm using version 1.8.1, which shipped with Mac OS X 10.2.2, and so far, no problems. I had to do this with the 10.2.3 update as well.

You can use the utility "Pacifist" to extract the file from the Mac OS X 10.2.2 Combo updater (still available from Apple's support website if you search for it).

4. dMac2k3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks 4 the info, I'll give it a try!!!! Sorry the short hand annoys u...........but it's me ;)

ROCK ON!!!!

5. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

B4 u do dat u nede 2 go bak 2 skule an lurn 2 rite. :p :D

6. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

4 real.

iJon

7. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

I have heard of quite a few people having troubles with sound loss or noises being heard when they do have sound. For about a week after I upgraded to OS 10.2.4, I would get this aweful cracking sound when playing music. After that week, it mysteriously disappeared.