No sound during Log & Capture. Blurred images!?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by lukemilnes, Oct 5, 2006.

1. lukemilnes macrumors member

Hi.

When i connect my camera to my mac and load FCP5.1 > Log & Capture > Play... i get no sound from the camera or the computer speakers, but the video will playback onscreen.

Can anyone help?

Also the video has blurred lines across it whenever there are sharp camera movements. I used 2 different cameras during the shoot, and the footage from each is blurred, so im pretty sure its a problem with the settings i have in FCP.

Thanks guys.

2. Carl Spackler macrumors 6502

Carl Spackler

Don't worry about the motion during capture. I believe what you're seeing in a buffer of sorts. The audio thing is annoying. You have to go to the "clip settings" tab in the Log and Capture window and click the preview box in the Audio section. I don't know why this isn't checked as a default.

3. lukemilnes thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Carl you were spot on. I've been looking through all the settings for a few hours now, and i had been on that screen before... and you right it is very annoying that it isn't checked by default!!!

As for the picture i thought that this might be the case, as when i have played back the recorded footage direct to my monitor through SVHS, the picture was fine.

Again thanks for the help.

4. ginsek macrumors newbie

I was looking for a solution to the same problem - no sound during Log and Capture. Unfortunatelly your suggestion doesn't work in my case. I wonder if Log and Capture window is different in FCP 5.0.4 since I don't see any "preview box" when I click "Clip Settings" tab in Log and Capture window as you say. I do see two check boxes which say "Audio" and "Video" and both are checked but still no sound during capture. I think these boxes allow you to choose whether you want to capture (not just preview) audio and/or video.

I would appreciate your help.

5. Carl Spackler macrumors 6502

Carl Spackler

It should be there, as I don't think anything changed on that screen between 4.5, from when I first started using FCP to now. I am not at my mac and won't be there until later tonight so I might not be of much help. Do you have full audio in video in the actual captured footage?

Here's an image of that tab with all the appropriate boxes checked.

[​IMG]

6. ginsek macrumors newbie

Thank you, but here is my image (see attachment). As you can see it is different than yours. It doesn't have "Preview" check box.

Yes, audio IS being captured and I can hear it when I play file after I capture. I only don't hear it while capturing. I can live with that, but still annoyed that I can't find it how to turn it on.

Attached Files:

7. ginsek macrumors newbie

Here is a very simple answer to my question - Log and Capture window/features differ depending on whether you are working on HD or SD project.

I was capturing HD video therefore my Log and Capture window looked different and didn't have audio preview check box. I guess it is not possible to preview your audio while capturing HD video. When I opened Log and Capture in SD project I saw exactly the same options as in Carl Spacler's image and was able to turn audio preview with no problems as Carl suggested.

8. corywoolf macrumors 65816

corywoolf

Wish I had an old version because I remember it being hidden away in the Audio/ Video Preferences under AV Devices. The reason they disable it by default is because in some cases it could effect the speed at which the video is encoded, Apple was keeping performance in mind.