Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stinker87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2009
I have a 13" Black Macbook running OS X 10.5.8 , 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM.
For some reason I no longer can hear sound through my headphones. This is not a case of the red Led light staying on, there is NO red light that stays on in the head phone jack. The headphones are showing in the preference, as well as in the Audio Midi, but no sound. When I disconnect the headphones I can hear sound on my internal speakers, but when I plug in the headphones, nothing. It sounds like the headphones are on, but the sound is not there. Does anyone know what I can try? I don't have a warranty, and I would rather not do a clean install, but will do so if I must. I only noticed this problem, because I was initially trying to hook up my stereo to my computer, and was getting no sound. Any help would be appreciated!

GSMiller

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2006
Kentucky
Have you ever had this problem before? Try not pushing the headphones plug in all the way (I have to do this with my iMac).

stinker87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2009
Nope, never had this problem ever. I've been working on a solution all days, it's so frustrating. I've tried what you suggested, but all that happens in Audio Midi is it goes from headphones, to digital output (briefly) when I barely take the headphone jack out, and then internal speakers, where I then hear the sound again. I'm surprised to have this issue, as I've had my computer for almost two years without a glitch.

cebritt

macrumors member
May 1, 2003
Austin, TX
No sound when headphones plugged in

I have the same MacBook that you do and here are some things to try:
1) The headphone jack is the one closest to the front. I've inadvertently stuck earplugs into the mic jack.
2) Try another set of headphones.
3) Try the headphones on another computer.
4) Is there a volume control on the headphones or cord?
5) Reset your PRAM. I think it's command-option-p-r on a restart.
6) Go to the Genius Bar at your local Mac store.
7) If all else fails, you can purchase a set of USB headphones for $30.

You should always have an extended warranty on a notebook computer. They get bounced around and when they do break, they're expensive to fix. I just had the motherboard replaced on my 2-1/2 year old MacBook.

CB in Austin

stinker87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2009
Thank you for all your suggestions. I double checked my headphones, and made sure I was plugging into the correct plug, reset the pram, and nothing has changed. I agree with you about the warranty, unfortunately I got this computer used off of Craigslist. Like you said I can purchase headphones with a usb cable. However, what I really wanted was to hook up my stereo to my computer. My stereo doesn't have a usb plug. Perhaps there's a way for me to get around that, I'm not sure.

stinker87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2009
I decided to order a audio connection with a usb on one side, we'll see if it works. Thanks again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.