No sound in some apps?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mrgreen4242, Feb 27, 2005.

1. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Ok, I've got a wierd problem... I get no sound in some programs all of a sudden. iTunes, for example, plays music no trouble, but there is no sound in iTMS movie trailers. World of Warcraft has sound effects, but Call of Duty does not. Everything worked just fine yesterday, btu now this. I've tried rebooting, but that didn't help. Flash documents and any videos I've downloaded just now don't have any sound either.

I don't see any obvious sound settings that have gone wrong, anyone have any recommendations? It's not a hardware (either the computer or the speakers) as some things play and sound just fine. Other stuff just give me nothing!

Thanks
    Rob

2. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Ok, I seem to have fixed it by trashing my User\Library\Preferences\Quicktime Preferences file. Anyone know what would have happened to cause this tho?

Rob

3. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Ok, this problem has popped back up, but deleting the QuickTime prefs didn't fix anything this time (may have just been coincidence last time?) and neither did a reboot or permissions repair.

I have sound in iTunes and WoW, for example, but there's no sound at all when trying to view a Quicktime movie through Safari or the iTMS. Also, flash animations have no sound. I can't figure this one out for the life of me! I REALLY don't want to install the OS, the darn things only 2.5 weeks old!

I created a new user, logged in and have the same results. I also went through and deleted anything I could find that may have installed some sort of extra codecs into the QT frameworks (mplayer, mencoder, ffmpegx, forty-two).

Note, that I also have system sounds, like the blips when I turn the sound up and down, and also sounds from in Adium. Realplayer works fine for NPR audio broadcasts and also for video files from the RealPlayer media browser thingy.

This makes me think that it has something to do with Quicktime codecs and settings, but I can't find anything that will fix it. I've trashed every QT pref file I can find, but nothing.

Is there a way I can 'uninstall' Quicktime and then reinstall it from the system discs?

Please help!!

Thanks,
    Rob

4. grobbins macrumors member

Try running Apple's GarageBand software. That fixes a common iMac G5 sound problem.

5. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Well woke up today and it worked? I'll try the GB thing if it happens again, can you link me to any info about this problem?

Thanks,

Rob

6. grobbins macrumors member

The iMac G5 sound problem has been discussed on Apple's discussion boards, http://discussions.info.apple.com/

7. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

This also happens sometimes with the newer PM G5s. Sometimes OSX will route the audio to the optical ports and other times it will route audio to the analog ports. Happens a lot with VLC and Peak. Just open System Prefs and make sure the output tab has the correctly selected audio port.

8. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Thanks, I browsed around that forum until I found some people with the same exact problems, so I feel a little better now... good to have a "fix" so I can at least move on with what I am doing if it happens again!

Rob