No sound in video clips when imported to iMovie

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by dextertangocci, Aug 18, 2006.

1. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

Hi everyone,

I have a couple of Mpeg4 video clips in iPhoto, that I would like to use in an iMovie, but when I drag the clips to iMovie, there is no sound when I play the clips:confused:

I am using iMovie for the first time, and it's probably something stupid I'm doing wrong:eek:

Any help would be appreciated:)

2. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Could be because they are Mpeg 4, you shouldn't ever edit Mpeg 4, is there a way you can make it a quicktime file, something easier to edit?

3. dextertangocci thread starter macrumors 68000

4. ekoman macrumors newbie

Help! No audio in iMovie HD imports- even when i convert formats!

Hi - I'm having the same problem. My camera records in MPEG1 format, which apparently iMovie HD doesn't read. First time iMovie user myself.

Frustrating thing is, I used Quicktime to convert the original .mpg files to .mov, mpeg4, and dv. Even the converted files can't be read by iMovie HD!

WTF? I'm annoyed because i just spend money to iLife specifically in order to edit videos. Anybody know how to fix this, or of a way to convert MPEG1 files into a readable format?
    :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

5. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

The problem is that mpeg1 has embedded audio on the video track to save space so when you convert it quicktime cannot make an audio track.

This is frustrating and I can think of a workaround, but it might be better to see what other people have to say, because my workaround IS LONG AND A PAIN IN THE ASS.

So if no one speaks up I'll post it.

6. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

^^ Does your painful method include using AudioHijack to capture the audio from the video while it plays in Quicktime? That way you'd have a separate .mp3 file that you could manipulate. Maybe this wouldn't be so bad.

7. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

Yeah it does.

It's the last way I would want to do it.

8. Laban macrumors newbie

MPEG Streamclip

might be what you´re loooking for?

9. McGiord, Mar 29, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Any solution?

Hi, a friend is having the same problem, his camera record mpeg1 videos and he isn't able to hear anything from those clips in iMovie, any known solution for this issue?
    ________
    BMW F650 single specifications

10. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

This is an old thread, but I'll post an answer.

The solution is to demux the audio and video, convert the audio, then recombine the files.

Do a search for "demux ftaok". Read a few of the threads, I have a few soluitons. I used to used MoreMissingTools, iTunes, and QT Pro.

ft