Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dextertangocci

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 2, 2006
Hi everyone,

I have a couple of Mpeg4 video clips in iPhoto, that I would like to use in an iMovie, but when I drag the clips to iMovie, there is no sound when I play the clips:confused:

I am using iMovie for the first time, and it's probably something stupid I'm doing wrong:eek:

Any help would be appreciated:)

ekoman

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2006
Help! No audio in iMovie HD imports- even when i convert formats!

Hi - I'm having the same problem. My camera records in MPEG1 format, which apparently iMovie HD doesn't read. First time iMovie user myself.

Frustrating thing is, I used Quicktime to convert the original .mpg files to .mov, mpeg4, and dv. Even the converted files can't be read by iMovie HD!

WTF? I'm annoyed because i just spend money to iLife specifically in order to edit videos. Anybody know how to fix this, or of a way to convert MPEG1 files into a readable format?
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Sharewaredemon

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2004
Cape Breton Island
The problem is that mpeg1 has embedded audio on the video track to save space so when you convert it quicktime cannot make an audio track.

This is frustrating and I can think of a workaround, but it might be better to see what other people have to say, because my workaround IS LONG AND A PAIN IN THE ASS.

So if no one speaks up I'll post it.

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
^^ Does your painful method include using AudioHijack to capture the audio from the video while it plays in Quicktime? That way you'd have a separate .mp3 file that you could manipulate. Maybe this wouldn't be so bad.

Sharewaredemon

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2004
Cape Breton Island
gauchogolfer said:
^^ Does your painful method include using AudioHijack to capture the audio from the video while it plays in Quicktime? That way you'd have a separate .mp3 file that you could manipulate. Maybe this wouldn't be so bad.

Yeah it does.

It's the last way I would want to do it.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Hi, a friend is having the same problem, his camera record mpeg1 videos and he isn't able to hear anything from those clips in iMovie, any known solution for this issue?

This is an old thread, but I'll post an answer.

The solution is to demux the audio and video, convert the audio, then recombine the files.

Do a search for "demux ftaok". Read a few of the threads, I have a few soluitons. I used to used MoreMissingTools, iTunes, and QT Pro.

ft

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.