No sound on videos with front row

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Kimi, Jan 12, 2006.

1. Kimi macrumors regular

Sorry to start two topics, but thay are quite different.

I'm trying to play a video on front row, but I'm not getting any sound from it. It's an .avi file, and I know it works as it plays in VLC and on my Windows box fine. There were also a few files that had no sound and no picture and other with sound and no picture.

I know very little about video, but I'm guessing that I need some codecs to play them? It's not a big problem, but I like bing able to play them with out have to get out of bed :)

2. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

first: .avi is simply a container, not a format.
    second: does the file play fine in QuickTime? If not, you might need some extra components.

3. Kimi thread starter macrumors regular

It doesn't. It says I need to up date or something. I'll try again once that's done.

EDIT: It only seems to be a load of view in 360 things and thing I'll have to pay for. They won't help. Any idea what to go to get something to make it work. Also, does Front Row play with quicktime? Or does it have it's own player?

4. jimthorn macrumors 6502a

jimthorn

Front Row uses Quicktime to play video. You will probably be fine if you install the divx and flip4mac WMV codecs into Quicktime. Then Front Row should be able to play most any video files you have.

Flip4Mac WMV codec (free)

DivX codec

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Open the video in VLC then press Command-I. This will open the Properties window. It should list a couple of streams, one for video and one for audio, open them up and look at the Type section to determine which is which. Then post back here with the Codec used for the audio stream.

6. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

more components here
    Install the Ogg, MSMPEGv1 and v2, AC3, and 3viX, along with the previously mentioned DivX and Flip4Mac components, and you should be able to play everything except mkv (Matroska) and ogm (Ogg Movie). Luckily, those aren't too common, unless you download a lot of fansubbed anime.
    Someone should make a package that bundles all of these components together, or at least a page with links to the most current version...

7. Kimi thread starter macrumors regular

It says it's a52. I googled it and downloaded something, but that didn't work. Other said the same thing. Any ideas?

8. mdavey macrumors 6502a

mdavey

9. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

10. Kimi thread starter macrumors regular

I've managed to get it working! I'm not sure how, but I downloaded a file with 67 codecs in and one of them made the files play. It was a place I'm not allowed to say.

EDIT: It didn't work. For the first 10 mins of the video I has sound then it cut out. Also, when I paused it, the sound muted but still carried on. I'm still looking for help.

11. gmanrique macrumors 6502

Audio part from Videos

I know it is not exactly what this thread is about but some how it is related. Has somebody figure out a way to make videos from the store, or any video for that matter, to stream the audio part to an AE? I know those are two different files and such, but is there a good known hack for it? I just think that, lets say if I get a new iMac with Front Row, and have it plugged to my TV, and iTunes configured to use my nice speakers (using an AE), it will make sense the audio will go to those nice speakers (not the computer ones) even when I am looking at the videos.

12. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Have you tried the latest AC3 Codecs?

I know that in those 67 codecs for QT torrent you downloaded from that place you shouldn't have mentioned ;) , is an old AC3 codec.
    Try the version 0.3. Thats works for me!

13. Kimi thread starter macrumors regular

I tried the 0.3 just now, there no sound at all with it. On the plus side though. I got some other files working with that pack I found. Just checked some of the ones that I didn't work.

14. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

This is my lineup of QT Codecs:
    (BTW your earlier post is nicely edited :D It was just a little warning before moderators might edit your post)

Attached Files:

15. gongobyte macrumors newbie

16. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

17. ruskiwi macrumors member

Second that. Perian worked for me when I had no sound from .avi files in QuickTime.

18. jackthomasgrant macrumors newbie

worked fine for me

i had exactly the same problem and installing Perian and Flip4Mac sorted everything out for me.