No sound!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ero87, Feb 27, 2006.

1. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

Weird problem, just happened; my sound is working half-okay. I can here music through iTunes, but none of my sound effects are working (e.g. new mail, get IM, etc.). Any ideas?

2. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

what mail and IM application are you using. I have a similar problem and restarting helps. but that is with mail and ichat. also, what version of mac os x are you using?

3. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

It's a problem with CoreAudio, when you open sertin apps that use core audio it happens. Just run This app I made and it fix it.

4. ero87 thread starter macrumors 65816

ero87

I ran that program (maybe foolishly, running a program posted by a complete stranger), and the problem's still there. I'll try restarting, but any other ideas?

btw, i'm using Mail and ichat, but even my Take Screenshot clicky-noise isn't working.

5. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

You have to restart the effected apps.

6. ero87 thread starter macrumors 65816

ero87

even putting items in the trash wasn't making a sound, so i don't know if it was a problem with apps. anyways, i reset the computer and it's all well and good, but i get bummed with apple has glitches. cuz they're too good for that.

7. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

i have those nice visual indications to show when something happens, but it does seem to pop up every now and then. especially after i have to restart after an installation.

Good luck!

8. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

restarting the affected apps for me doesn't work. trust me, i have a similar problem. :(

9. NiftyBritches macrumors newbie

I had the same problem last week. I didn't install Garage Band when I upgraded to iLife '06 for space reasons. So, I installed Garage Band, and now the sounds work in Mail for some reason. Hope that helps...

10. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    I've posted this before on here and I still have no clue....the sound effect thing and my issue with Ogg video remain my two "unsolved mysteries...."

For my system, I lose ALL my sound FX. From the "ping" in iChat to the trash emptying, all of em....except for the volume up down sounds...My theory is that when I tax my system's ram/cpu my sound fx dissapear....the only way I can get em' back is with a restart...

I've messed around in Prefs>sound>sound effects...with no luck.

It's a small quirk, but I hate quirks. Good luck to the original poster...and thanks in advance to any legit suggestions.

:)

11. ero87 thread starter macrumors 65816

ero87

yeah quigley that's the exact diagnosis of my problem! restarting works fine, and it's a pretty rare problem. a real solution would be cool.

12. Stibble macrumors newbie

Garageband does it

I have always had this intermittent problem since I got the G5 w 10.2.8 ? and still w 10.4.10

I had forgotten how I solved it until Nifty mentioned Garage band - just launch and quit it and your sound problems magically disappear !