No Sounds in Mail - Just upgraded to Tiger

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by NiftyBritches, Feb 20, 2006.

1. NiftyBritches macrumors newbie

I just recently upgraded to Tiger, and now I have no sounds in Mail. The speakers are definitely on, and the Mail Preferences are set to play both a new mail sounds, and the box to play other mail sounds is checked.

I just repaired permissions and rebooted the machine to no avail. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

Just to clarify (i know the speakers are on), you can get the sound out of other apps, right? iTunes, for instance.

3. NiftyBritches thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I just verified that I can hear music through the speakers - from iTunes.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It may be an Audio MIDI issue in which case you could reset core audio by opening and closing Garageband. :)

5. NiftyBritches thread starter macrumors newbie

I chose to not install Garage Band when I upgraded to iLife '06. Could that be the issue? Any other way to reset core audio?

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

That's okay. Read this article instead.

Not having Garageband shouldn't be an issue. :)

7. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

I know your system volume is on, but is your alert volume?

Sys Prefs>Sound>Sound Effects>Alert Volume slider

8. NiftyBritches thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, last night I installed Garage Band from the iLife '06 disk. I now have sounds in mail, but I can't get the one sound I want to play when new mail arrives. The normal 'submarine' sound will play when new mail arrives, but that's not what I want.

Using iMovie, I recorded a brief clip of my 4yr old saying 'You got new mail, daddy'... The .m4a file was moved to my desktop, and plays just fine. I then moved it to my user/library/sounds folder and I'm able to select that sound through the mail preferences menu. It's there and looks like it should play just fine. But, when that sound is selected and new mail arrives, there is no sound played. The 'airplane taking off' sound plays when I send, but still no dice when receiving using this clip. Any suggestions?

On another note, is there an easier way to record simple sounds using the microphone other than using iMovie?