No spell check on webmail.mac.com??

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by coolbreeze, Jul 3, 2003.

1. coolbreeze macrumors 65816

Well, I was very close to making the leap from hotmail to .mac but I now have a big reason not to. I use a windows machine all day long, and web-based email must have spell-check. I signed up for the 60 day trial for .mac and was shocked to discover the web-based version of mail doesn't (from what I can tell) offer spell-checking. Maybe it seems petty, but quite honestly with all the technology today (not to mention the $100 price tag) you'd think .mac would at least configure their webmail with spellchecking capability.

Guess I'll remain with hotmail for the time being.:mad:

C'mon Apple, you almost had me buy into thinking that .mac was worth it...make me pull out my AmEx already!!

2. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

3. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Why not use a browser with built-in spellcheck?

4. medea macrumors 68030

medea

The too statements above are exactly what I was going to say.

5. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Ha, and then there are the times when even spellcheck doesn't quite dew the job. ;)

6. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

I wonder how few people actually understand that joke. Good one Rower. :)

7. medea macrumors 68030

medea

actually good one medea as it was intentional....but glad someone caught on. ;)

8. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

I understand. I bet we lost everyone else though. :)

Just kidding.....

9. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

This kind of thing pisses me off.
    I honestly can not spell beyond a third grade level. I have dyslexia and a whole slue of other learning dissabilties, and I reliy heavely on spell checkers. (This doesn’t mean that I catch every mistake!) This kind of service should be included, not just for those that have perceptual difficulties, but for all those people that have difficulty spelling. Spell checkers help the blind and those who have difficulty entering data.

This said: I generally run everything through M$ Word first. I also have Spell Catcher 8 well trained. Spell Catcher works in any text entry field. I don’t know if there is an OSX version of Spell Catcher.

10. janey macrumors 603

janey

eniregnat: er...your spell checker can tell that dyslexia is spelled correctly but not slew, disabillities, rely...? i understand your frustration :( i used to be a horrible speller.
    The thing is it's very hard to come up with a web-based spell checker...and coolbreeze i am so sorry (i wrote the first reply to your thread) i didn't realize you were talking about .mac webmail on a windows PC. In that case, use Outlook or something like that.

edit: er...i spelled disabilities wrong :(

11. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

Thanks for the correction.
    I'll add it to my list.

12. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

hmm they better bring out spellchecker as well as atleast one or 2 new features to lure customers who are thinking bout dropping .mac