No STEREO in SIDPLAY?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Thrash911, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Thrash911 macrumors 6502

Thrash911

Hellow,

I got SIDPLAY from http://www.sidmusic.org/sidplay/mac/, and used it for a couple of days now. But it would seem, that it plays all SID's in mono only. :mad:

Some people would maybe go "They are SID's. What do you need stereo for?".. Well, there are some nice "speaker-to-speaker" effects in some SID's, which sounds nice in stereo. Fx. The Last Ninja, sub-song 10..

And it's especially nice with stereo, when exporting to MP3..

I wen't through Preferences and the rest of the menus, more than once. But I can't find a setting for stereo. Nor can I find anything about it on the website. This SID player is one of the best that I have experienced (on any platform), so it seems weird, that the program is defaulting output in mono, with no option to change this..

Am I missing some setting?

If I'm right, and this player is mono-only, then what SID player can be recommended? One that plays & exports in stereo.. ;)

2. c-Row macrumors 65816

c-Row

I can't check right now since I don't got any SID files on my MBP (nor can I connect it to the internet at the office), but as far as I remember, they are stereo. :confused:

3. Thrash911 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thrash911

Well, it certainly is in mono here. :( When playing, if I shift the sound to only the left or right channel on the stereo, I hear all the channels of the SID (the whole tune, nothing missing), which would confirm it is played in mono. And when exported, they show up as mono under "Get Info" in iTunes..

I use version 3.4.1

4. c-Row macrumors 65816

c-Row

Just installed the latest Universal, and it is indeed mono. :( I remember there was a player that would play them in stereo, but that might just be a washed out memory of my dark PC days...

Sorry, don't know any other players for Mac right now.

[add] It seems like SIDekick should be able to play them in stereo. Judging from the (really tiny) screenshot, you would even be able to control the panning for each SID channel yourself. Got to try this one out later tonight - as always, I am currently at the office. ;)

5. Thrash911 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thrash911

YES! :D

SIDekick can indeed output in both mono and stereo. You can even choose it INDIVIDUALLY for both playback and exporting. Well.. You have to PAN the channels yourself to your liking first, but that is ok. Only drawback is, that it seems it can not output directly to MP3. This a minor issue though.. I'm pretty sure I can easily find a WAV -> MP3 converter..

Oh, another drawback (something I have not mentioned yet).. None of these two players seem to work with GameBase64.. :(

Thanks a lot for your input! :)

Oh.. I like the KLF. I don't know their recent tunes (if any - will check the website), but really loved 3 A.M. Eternal and Last Train To Trancentral.. oooh, nice!! ;)

6. c-Row macrumors 65816

c-Row

You are welcome. :) I am much into old SID and MOD tunes, so I am always happy to help out on these topics.

Their most recent tune was ***K The Millennium back in 1997 (another rendition of What Time Is Love?). Since then, there has been silence regarding musical activities... :(

Some sections of the website don't work yet, but we got plenty of stuff we want to add once everything gets going... :eek: