No Student Discount on BT Mighty Mouse!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by adk, Jul 25, 2006.

1. adk macrumors 68000

adk

BOOO APPLE! Having just looked at the apple store and education store, the Bluetooth Mighty Mouse is $69 no matter what, no student discount. What gives?

2. LastLine macrumors 65816

3. thegreatluke macrumors 6502a

thegreatluke

That's lame.

I'd figure since Apple gives a $5 discount on the regular Mighty Mouse, they'd give at least a $5 (though preferably $10) discount on the wireless version!

Oh well. I'm sure they'll change it soon. They might've forgotten to update the Education store, which happens once in a while.

4. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

5. joshwest macrumors 65816

joshwest

This isnt true, just prob cause its a new item. I went to the 5th ave store a few weeks ago and got a wired MM and they let me use my student discount on it.

6. REDSRT4 macrumors regular

try compusa they might give you the student discount, they usually discount stuff for me all the time

7. adk thread starter macrumors 68000

adk

Do you really think Compusa already stocks the BT MM? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

8. Obsidian6 macrumors 6502a

Obsidian6

i didn't even know they released the BT MM lol.. and i'm usually on top of releases :(

I use my wired MM with my powerbook all the time, it makes a great travel mouse. but the new one is laser... my mighty mouse isn't laser, is that a new thing? ( i bought mine when they first came out last year )

im tempted, but i will wait until they offer a student discount

9. JackSYi macrumors 6502a

No discount from them. What is the deal?

10. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

this kinda ticks me off. Grrrr...apple give me my discount!

11. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

The BTMM in Canada is marked down from $79.00 to $71.00 for education customers. Sometimes it takes time for these things to trickle through...the free iPod thingy was a few days late getting to Canada back when it was announced.

12. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Uh....

Laser? You mean optical? They are the same thing.

13. craigatkinson macrumors regular

craigatkinson

Not according to apple. According to apple's website, their wired mighty mouse is still optical while their BT mighty Mouse is laser. They say the laser has 20 times better reflection (or something like that). In other words, it works on more surfaces.

14. Obsidian6 macrumors 6502a

Obsidian6

yeah a laser mouse is far more sensitive than a regular optical mouse. they should have made the beam green or something, that would have been cool.

anyways. craig is correct, the wired MM which i have is an optical mouse, but the new wireless ones are Laser, which will work on more surfaces in a much smoother manner, that alone is enough for me to consider getting one.

laser mice tend to be on the more expensive side, but the MM wireless has some good things going for it.
    how many other wireless bluetooth ( that don't require any attachments what-so-ever ) mice with a laser optical system are there? nothing is really coming to mind..

15. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

I am definetely getting one, I really need an easy mouse with my laptop that just works when pulled out of the bag. Plus it's white, so it goes with my iBook :D

Do you know of any other BT laser mice that are worth looking into?

16. Obsidian6 macrumors 6502a

Obsidian6

i honestly right now cant think of another BT laser mouse that has no stupid "dongle" or w/e those things are called.

i like the clean lines of my apple stuff, i dont want to clutter them up with un-necessary attachments.

17. thegreatluke macrumors 6502a

thegreatluke

You might be thinking of a wireless (infrared) mouse.

Bluetooth mouses sometimes come with Bluetooth dongles for those who don't have Bluetooth. If you do have Bluetooth, you wouldn't need the dongle.

I have a Logitech V270 Bluetooth mouse. It has an optical light rather than a laser, but it's cheap ($40 US) and it works well. It's kind of on the small side though. If I weren't saving up for a Wii I'd be getting a Bluetooth Mighty Mouse . :D

Logitech (it's the first site I went to) has some coredless (infrared) laser mouses, but no Bluetooth laser mouses. I don't think I've ever seen a Bluetooth laser mouse besides Apple's.

18. GhostFace macrumors member

I still get a Federal Employee discount. Its 63.00 w/discount.

19. adk thread starter macrumors 68000

adk

Um, how about all of them? as long as your computer has its own bluetooth chip.

20. mterlouw macrumors member

Logitech makes a bluetooth version of the MX1000 laser mouse, that it sells as part of the MX5000 combo.

21. Obsidian6 macrumors 6502a

Obsidian6

oh seriously? my mistake then, i always was told the base stations or dongles were required for the mouse to work. no one has ever told me they work independent of it.

well that sucks.. lol!

22. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I got two of them yesterday at Regent Street with an EDU discount of 6% (not HE).

23. LastLine macrumors 65816

The HE discount in the UK brings it down from £49 to £41.43 :eek:

24. j3tang macrumors regular

the Logitech MX1000 is a laser bluetooth mouse .. has up-down, left-right scrolling, and lots more buttons too :)

although i might consider giving mine up to get meself a BTMM to match the rest of my apple stuff :)

25. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

Really? £43.48 (HE contract) and £44.xx (normal edu) on the edu prices where I'm sitting.