No swype/trace keyboard then?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by MrMister111, Jun 11, 2013.

1. macrumors 65816

Liking a lot of iOS 7, not sure on the look yet, but I take it there's nothing done on the keyboard? No swype/trace type?

Any improvements on keyboard? I was really really hoping that a swype/trace keyboard, or an Apple version would come in iOS7 :(

2. macrumors member

Ditto, there should be no reason for apple to not allow this.. even through an app.

I know some people who think texting otherwise is archaic.

3. thread starter macrumors 65816

I hope they at least let an app in, though I doubt it with current rules as the keyboard can capture all taps.

If Apple would do one it would make me happy, at last they have quick settings for at least a few things. Maybe in a later beta?

4. macrumors 6502

Was hoping for this also, i use it like mad on my Android phones. Be brilliant if it comes in the next beta or something.

5. macrumors member

I really can't this into my head, why, WHY on earth is Apple not willing to acknowledge the fact that the iOS keyboard/autocorrect is really really bad in comparison with other platforms?

6. macrumors regular

LeoNobilis

Much disappointed with Apple's resolution to cling to the current keyboard tech. A Swype / SlideIt / T9 / SwiftKey Flow keyboard must positively be integrated into the system: you don't walk about on ice with high heels on - you skate. The same goes for capacitative touchscreens. Apparently, Apple fail to get this elementary principle.

I also guess, the iPhone 5S (or even the 6) won't have a screen density (let alone, the overall screen dimensions) of any of the current crop of high end Android devices. A babyphone with a grotesquely impaired functionality both in soft- and hardware terms.

7. macrumors member

US Marine

This is an absolute deal breaker for me. I was really hoping Apple would finally include Swype or something similar in iOS 7. There is no way I'll jump ship from an Android phone without it. As long as Apple has been playing catchup with Android features, it's baffling to me that iOS still doesn't have trace typing.

8. macrumors 6502

Not giving more thoughts to the extremely dated keyboard is also my biggest disappointment with iOS7. I just love TouchPal, Swype, or other slide keyboard on Android platforms. Although Touchpal is now available on the App Store, you can't make it system wide, unless you jailbreak the phone and install the system-wide TouchPal from the Cydia market (and that version crashes a lot unfortunately).

9. macrumors 6502

Seriously guys? That is your reason for not getting an iPhone, then stay on Android. Everybody complains when iOS doesn't have features that android does. But I GUARANTEE you that the second any such feature is added to the iPhone, people will say "Android had the first," "Android already has this," or "Way to steal something from Android." You can never satisfy anybody apparently. People are looking for things to nitpick at.

10. macrumors 6502

I hate people who says go and use Android just because we want to have a useful functionality. Seriously.

I don't like Android because it has even more serious limitations!

11. macrumors 65816

I wish they had it too, but it's not a deal breaker. I'd imagine they will add it eventually. Maybe even before final release.

12. macrumors 6502

It's not that bad. It doesn't have Swype. Big deal. It is still faster and more accurate than any mobile keyboard.

13. macrumors 6502

I disagree. The standard iOS keyboard is too slow and more error prone in my experience than Swype like keyboard.

14. macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

Why swype? So everyone can complain about iOS being an Android copy? :rolleyes:

Anyway, I personally couldn't care less about swype. It's funny; I remember bitching and complaining about the lack of landscape support for typing back in the day and I never use that functionality now that we have it. It was the simple fact that I knew I couldn't that made me want it. :p

15. macrumors 6502

I don't think Swype is an Android copy. I think it first came out during the windows mobile days. Android copies it because it is more open-minded to good things I guess.

16. macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

The point being that everything people complain is a copy is not really a "copy." And even if one wants to label it a copy it's features that people request time and time again. Furthermore, a good portion of the foundation of Android is a "copy". They can evolve all they want but they would've had little to start with if it wasn't for the original iOS. Steve believed that and so do I.

17. macrumors 6502

Swype is not created by Android, that's all I would like to say. It was there way before Android was born.

18. macrumors 6502

We'll have to agree to disagree. Having used swype / swiftkey, I am slower as I have to think about the route of what I'm typing rather than just instinctively hitting the keys.

19. macrumors 6502

I used to be think like you, debating against Swype during the windows mobile day. I no longer hold that view and love it very much. ;)

20. macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

I wasn't opposing you...

21. macrumors 68000

WhackyNinja

Logic:

Android users complain that iOS doesn't have a feature they have.

iOS gets said feature.

iOS is accused of stealing and copying from them.

22. macrumors 6502a

I'll never understand the obsession with ever higher pixel density. At some point, you are physically unable to distinguish individual pixels. And the iPhone's retina display has reached that point. There's really no point in increasing the current pixel density. More pixels add more strain to the processor and battery life is sparse on any mobile device, so why would you want to have more pixels?

Even big manufacturers like Samsung or HTC don't seem to understand that.

I agree though that I'd like to see the swype keyboard on the iPhone.

23. macrumors member

US Marine

This isn't nitpicking. Inputting text is one of the most important and used functions of any smartphone.

24. macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

What's all the fuss about the keyboard? I'm not seeing the issue with the current one?

25. macrumors 68040

Logic:

iPhone users don't care for any Android features.

iOS gets some features that Android has.

iPhone users now love those features they didn't care for.