No tax weekend?

Discussion in 'Community' started by sprstu, Jul 31, 2005.

1. sprstu macrumors member

sprstu

Ok, so im new to grand old state of texas, and I have a question. next weekend, aug 5-7, the state has decided to go tax free. I know that all food and clothes are tax free, but what about big things like houses and cars. I dont plan on buying either right now, but can you imagine not paying any tax on your new car? Think about that, 20k car, 6.5% tax, thats almost 1300$ you save right there. I cant imagine that is the case, but I just wanted to know if other states do this as well. MN and WI dont, I know that for sure, but anyone else?

2. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

Nearly every state has a program like this, usually around the beginning of school. There are many provisions to them, notably like cars and major purschases over x dollars are not included in the tax lift.

-BEN

3. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

4. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

I've managed to plan my trip to SF that same weekend, but I don't care-- I already have all the crap I could ever need.

But I DO love the rush.
    I don't know why, but I LOVE being in the middle of all the commotion. :)

But when it comes time to pay for it... OMG, the line is HOW LONG?
    *strokes iPod lovingly* I don't know what I ever did w/o you!

5. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Massachusetts is having a tax free holiday on August 13th & 14th. The last one was very successful for retailers. August is usually a slow month for them. So this brings buyers out. The Sales Tax free only applies to items less than $2500. Cars is something not applicable.

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/4715185/detail.html

6. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

wow i thought in boston it was up to 5000 dollars guess i was wrong, still getting a new powerbook on the 13th thou

7. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

Heh. I haven't heard about anything like that in Michigan. Of course, we're still trying to dig our way out of a budget deficit.

8. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I wish you good luck with your purchase. What model?

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Missouri has the same thing coming up. Only applies to school supplies, clothes and computers I believe. No cars or anything like that.

10. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

how much is the tax? When i buy stuff from abercrombie they never charge me tax.... at least i haven't notice it...

11. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

I'm pretty sure MA doesn't have tax on clothing or food. Basically, TX's tax free weekend makes them equal to MA. MA's tax free weekend applies to almost everything.

(This is what I remeber from when I lived there)

-BEN