No taxes?? Where?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by donniedarko, Feb 4, 2005.

1. donniedarko macrumors regular

Is there anywhere that Apple doesn't add tax? They even add tax in New Hampshire.... anyone know?
    thanks

2. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Except

"Items sold by Amazon.com LLC, or its subsidiaries, and shipped to destinations in the states of Kansas, North Dakota, or Washington are subject to tax."

3. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

ugh... well, 3 out of 50 is pretty good chances you won't have to pay.

4. Flyinace2000 macrumors 6502a

Flyinace2000

Teh state of Delaware does not have sales tax. Though you are suppose to decalre it on your home state taxes...

5. Rubin421 macrumors member

amazon doesn't charge any sales tax, but they won't do any BTO...

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

They raided one store in New York and ended up collecting $6 million in taxes...

So it's not like they check your credit cards transactions for out-of-state purchases like they do in California -- and a few other states.

In California they sent out warning letters and got back $billions, so this may get other states to start processing credit cards -- especially since no court order is required, it's all public information.

7. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Montana.

8. mpw Guest

Jersey. We don't have sales tax or VAT (yet) but I doubt that's gonna' help you.

9. Flyinace2000 macrumors 6502a

Flyinace2000

Last time i check us NJ residents do pay sales tax on everything (except clothing).

10. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    But mpw doesn't live in New Jersey as his location tells you.

There's an 'old' Jersey in the English Channel ;)

11. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Ummm, what are you saying is public information?

12. Flyinace2000 macrumors 6502a

Flyinace2000

DOH!

13. NZDave macrumors newbie

The 'Old' Jersey is actually in England, not in the English Channel, not much in there except some water, islands, and the occasional swimmer.

14. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Jersey is in the english channel(close to France)Its an Island semiautonomous from the UK

15. anubis macrumors 6502a

they even charge sales tax for new mexico, which seems pretty weird to me. I find it hard to believe that Apple has any warehouses or production facilities here... so why are they charging us folks in new mexico sales tax? I was never able to understand that...

However at my university's bookstore, the computer shop has figured out some kind of loophole to keep us from having to pay taxes on macs we order through them, which have the same cost and stuff as ordering direct from Apple's web site. It has something to do wtih the fact that we are not allowed to physically pick up or gain posession of the computer from the physical location of the bookstore itself. Instead we have to pick up all purchased computers from the bookstore's warehouse, in the ghettoass part of campus. ;)

16. GrannySmith_G5 macrumors 6502

apple never added any tax to my purchases in New Hampshire or ones that were shipped to new hampshire. I'm not sure where you got that info.

17. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

PowerMax is in Oregon, so it doesn't charge sales tax. And they will BTO (for a price), but they do charge for shipping.

18. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

It is the concept of a company having a "nexis" in that state. Meaning they have a "substantial" business presence. That can take the form of sales force, tech services, and the such - not just brick and mortar stuff.

Curious how Apple can charge a sales tax for a state (NH in this case) if there is no sales tax in that state.

19. Bibulous macrumors 6502a

Just filed my Michigan Tax for 04

The great state of Michigan says:

Michigan's Use Tax (Remote Sales Tax)

The remote sales tax (use tax) applies to purchases when Michigan sales tax is not charged. Use tax of 6 percent is due on the total price (including shipping and handling charges) of all taxable items brought into Michigan, purchases by mail from out-of-state retailers, and purchases made on the Internet. It applies to purchases made in foreign countries as well as other states. Use tax can be paid on the Michigan Income Tax Return.

Facts on Internet and Mail Order Purchases

* Every state with a sales tax has a companion tax for purchases made outside the state. In Michigan, that tax is called the "use tax" but might be more aptly described as a remote sales tax because it is a 6 percent tax owed on sales made remotely (i.e. outside of Michigan.)
    * The use tax is not a new law; it was enacted in 1937. With the birth and rapid growth of Internet sales, revenue lost from non-reporting of the use tax is becoming substantial.
    * Remote selling to consumers nationally is estimated at $279 billion in 2001. By 2005, projected remote selling to U.S. consumers will grow to $429 billion, largely due to sales over the Internet.
    * Currently, Michigan is losing an estimated $210 million in use taxes from remote sales in fiscal year 2001. Remote sales over the Internet will cause this loss to increase dramatically in the years ahead to $349 million in FY 2005.
    * The estimated loss of $349 million is comprised of $116 million from the School Aid Fund, and $233 million from the General Fund.
    * Use tax is required by law when a person purchases a good from out of state and the retailer hasn't charged sales tax in their jurisdiction.
    * Non-compliance has been a problem for years with mail order sales, but the issue of "remote selling" becomes much more serious with the fast growth of Internet sales.
    * The Internet Tax Freedom Act does not prohibit the sales and use tax on consumer purchases over the Internet by Michigan residents that are taxable under Michigan law. Only new taxes on Internet access are prohibited.

do take a bite...

20. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

I really hate these taxes on internet purchases. It seems to me that buying over the internet is interstate commerce and thus can only be taxed by the US Federal Government not the individual states. Since there is no Federal sales tax these purchases should be tax free. I think states are using a loophole by calling it a "use tax". Essentially taxing you for using an item purchased thru interstate commerce.

dirty politicians!

21. mpw Guest

Jersey (no 'old' prefix required) is most definently NOT in England, never has been and hopefully never will be. England's a half hour away by plane but I can see France from my window.

And you don't want to call Jersey's people English either if you don't want to offend!

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

make friends with a computer shop, just the small sort. nothing like PC World. and be very very nice to them.

then ask if you can buy something VAT free through them.

how i got my Toshiba Pocket PC and my iPod :rolleyes:

23. all-devourer macrumors newbie

Yeah, can Apple charge sales tax in Nevada?

BTW: http://www.smalldog.com is another great online vendor. I think they only charge sales tax in Vermont. I don't think they do BTO as such, but they frequently have configurations beyond the standard ones from the apple online store.

24. RGunner macrumors 6502a

RGunner

No Taxes here :)

But its dark, I would stay away :)