no teacher discount?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by iMetalG5, May 1, 2005.

1. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

a friend of mine who is a teacher explained he can not get the educational discount on Tiger at the store and that he had to order online. is this true for everything? he did get a mac mini at the discount a few weeks ago but was not sure why they told him this, maybe no discounts on software in the store??

[edit] moderator - just saw a post regarding this so you can delete if you like.

2. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

As far as I know you have to go through your college's network, rather than at a store, cos Apple have specific agreements with the buying consortiums that work for groups of colleges and Unis. At least that's what happens here.

I've heard conflicting stories about people getting the Edu discount on software at stores, apparently it's not supposed to happen.

We get a heavier discount if we order online via the Uni network.

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Educational software comes with different packaging and EULAs, possibly different serial numbers, so the physical stores don't carry them.

Whereas the hardware is the same for Edu vs. Retail, so the stores can sell Edu priced hardware.

4. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

This isn't the case for Tiger, or any previous retail version of OS X to my knowledge.

5. tangerineyum macrumors 6502

I bought Panther at the Pasadena store and was given the edu discount. We had some family come over so I made it to the Fashion Island Store in Irvine and the store in South Coast Plaza. Both stores stated I needed to buy online now to get the discount. I dont know if jaguar was sold at discount as i got it for free from my school district.

6. dont24 macrumors regular

I went to my local Apple store on on Saturday to pick up Tiger. I typically use my EPP discount, which is 16% for software. I was told I couldn't use it for Tiger. I left it there and will be ordering from Amazon or from Apple.com, which does honor the discount.

7. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

Any one know about the family pack, i just rememebered that my brother wants tiger on his G5 and ibook, and also upgrade to ilife 05.. Do i have to get that online or can i go to the store and get it?

8. dont24 macrumors regular

I saw the family pack at my local store.

9. iMetalG5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah i heard this. they also do specific checks as well. But with hardware its like no issues. just with software. strange huh?