no TFT lights on bootup on PB G3 Wallstreet, plz help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jofarmer, Mar 6, 2006.

1. jofarmer macrumors member

Jan 18, 2006

I got a friends 233MHz Wallstreet (white Apple Logo) and he asked to upgrade it to the max. I added RAM to 192MB and installed OS X 10.2.8, both of wich is the supportet max.

Now I got the USB2.0 PCMCIA card and wanted to see if all goes well - OS X boots, but when the grey background changes to the blue one with the white login window, the display switches off the lights completely! What is wrong?

I tried zapping all there is (PRAM, NVRAM) and resetting it - no improvement.

has anyone experienced similar things? And, preferably, found a solution?

Thx a lot
  2. jeremy.king macrumors 603

Jul 23, 2002
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Try resetting the PMU

Google also found this

"The fix: Restart in Mac OS 9. Set the brightness (use the buttons) to around 75% brightness. Then use the Startup Disk control panel to switch back into Mac OS X."
  3. jofarmer thread starter macrumors member

Jan 18, 2006
    Thanks, I already had tried resetting the PMU. Now in the apple doc I was not shure if I had done it right before, so I pressed all buttons for the duration of five seconds. Nothing changed.

OS 9 is not installed on this machine.

Maybe I should add that it runs on the a/c adapter and has no battery - but what would that change?

And every time it boots up it boots with a happy mac for some seconds and then reboots to boot correctly into OS X.

4. Sly macrumors 6502

Nov 30, 2003
    Airstrip One
    You don't need to install os 9 just boot in to it once from CD. When you restart in OS X your problem will have been solved. This is a permanent fix providing your PRAM battery is good, if its dead you will have to boot in to os 9 first every time.

You sometimes can get the back light to come on without booting in to 9 by pressing the screen brightness button, this isn't a permanent fix and you will find that you will not be able to wake the screen from sleep.