Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Seg9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2016
Just today two big games were launched for the iPhone and iPad. Telltale's new The Walking Dead game with Michonne and a brand new Assassin's Creed game by Ubisoft. Now I noticed that both of these games were not made available for the Apple TV and that while I think that exactly these two games would have been perfect for the platform.

Apple is marketing the Apple TV as a media player and has really focused on showcasing the functionality of apps and games in their presentation. In fact, they have even said that apps are the future of television. So you could say that both apps and games play an important role in defining the Apple TV.

Yet, The Walking Dead: Michonne has not been released for the Apple TV and the same goes for Assassin's Creed: Identity. And that while The Walking Dead gets released on every single platform you could think of and Assassin's Creed would have been pretty much perfect for the Apple TV because of the bigger screen and an additional controller (which makes more sense than a controller for your phone).

Now I get that Apple does not make the decision for Telltale and Ubisoft wether they release their games for the Apple TV or not, but I do feel like Apple should do more to push developers and publishers forward to also make their iOS games available for the tvOS platform (not all of them, but it certainly goes for games like these two and for example Limbo and Valiant Hearts, as they are originally downloadable console games). They have marketed the gaming aspect of the media player, so they should make sure that games like these two become available on their newest platform.

How do you guys feel about this? Should Apple do more to make sure games like these four also get their releases on the Apple TV? I would like to hear your guys opinions.

FotoModel

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2015
I was hoping this two games came to ATV4 too.. Not just this, but GTA franchise, Lego games, Fifa 16 UT..

Reactions: CPINTO

Seg9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2016
I was hoping this two games came to ATV4 too.. Not just this, but GTA franchise, Lego games, Fifa 16 UT..
The Grand Theft Auto games are also an excellent example, because these were originally console games. Chinatown Wars would be great too on the big screen.

I remember that developers and publishers optimized their apps and games for the iPad pretty quick after the device came out for the first time. Currently, I do not see that happening with the Apple TV, which is too bad.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
The Grand Theft Auto games are also an excellent example, because these were originally console games. Chinatown Wars would be great too on the big screen.

I remember that developers and publishers optimized their apps and games for the iPad pretty quick after the device came out for the first time. Currently, I do not see that happening with the Apple TV, which is too bad.
Because it was much easier. Tvos apps have to be made specifically for it. It's a different ipa all together. I think tvos would have benefited more if it was iOS in permanent landscape view instead of a new OS. :(

Reactions: Gasu E.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
The app selection for aTV has been really sad. Unfortunately, I think developers believe it isn't worth their time. Not enough units out in the wild. If you think about iPhones and iPads, and how many of them there are...

Seg9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2016
Because it was much easier. Tvos apps have to be made specifically for it. It's a different ipa all together. I think tvos would have benefited more if it was iOS in permanent landscape view instead of a new OS. :(
Yea, that makes sense.

The app selection for aTV has been really sad. Unfortunately, I think developers believe it isn't worth their time. Not enough units out in the wild. If you think about iPhones and iPads, and how many of them there are...
Also makes sense. I hope it will change once there will be more Apple TVs out there. Who knows in the future. Apple will hold on the Apple TV and tvOS platform for at least a while, that is for sure.

Seg9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2016
and I would like to see Starfox, Halo, Killzone, and Titanfall... :eek:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/...es-have-little-to-fear-from-the-new-apple-tv/

:rolleyes:
Yes I realise what the article is stating. I have never said the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One should fear anything from the Apple TV. I am just saying that Apple did make an huge deal out of the gaming aspect of the Apple TV and games like The Walking Dead and for example Limbo on Apple TV would have made perfect sense.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
Gaming on streaming boxes is relatively new. These games are in a totally different category than console games..... They are casual games. As such they are going to take some time to become popular. Have patience.... Apps will get better.

It also will help if you contact the app Devs and ask about making a tvOS version

Seg9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2016
Gaming on streaming boxes is relatively new. These games are in a totally different category than console games..... They are casual games. As such they are going to take some time to become popular. Have patience.... Apps will get better.

It also will help if you contact the app Devs and ask about making a tvOS version
It depends on what you mean by console games. The games I am constantly mentioning were all first available for the PlayStation and Xbox consoles, even though it was on the downloadable channels of both. No, they are not triple A games, but unless you only mean those by 'console games' they are not in a total different category.

But yea, I hope it is just a matter of time. I might contact the developers and ask them for a tvOS version. Who knows that if many people will do that, they eventually will listen. I just wished Apple did a little bit more effort in making them available as in supporting the developers and publishers.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
It depends on what you mean by console games. The games I am constantly mentioning were all first available for the PlayStation and Xbox consoles, even though it was on the downloadable channels of both. No, they are not triple A games, but unless you only mean those by 'console games' they are not in a total different category.

But yea, I hope it is just a matter of time. I might contact the developers and ask them for a tvOS version. Who knows that if many people will do that, they eventually will listen. I just wished Apple did a little bit more effort in making them available as in supporting the developers and publishers.

Unless Apple gets rid of the rule "it must first work with the Siri Remote" and the whole "content streaming thing" (my budget slow DSL connection makes waiting for content during gameplay horrible), then they can start putting some console-quality games on it...

Maybe the developers of the games mentioned would not compromise the quality of their games if they have to program it for a TV remote and have to download every level along the gameplay.

Seg9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2016
Unless Apple gets rid of the rule "it must first work with the Siri Remote" and the whole "content streaming thing" (my budget slow DSL connection makes waiting for content during gameplay horrible), then they can start putting some console-quality games on it...

Maybe the developers of the games mentioned would not compromise the quality of their games if they have to program it for a TV remote and have to download every level along the gameplay.
Is that really a given rule? That ''it must work with the Siri Remote''? Did they ever say that?

Would be way too bad.

ButteryScrollin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2014
Is that really a given rule? That ''it must work with the Siri Remote''? Did they ever say that?

Would be way too bad.

Yes, and it's the main thing holding back Apple TV games imo.
Hopefully we see a reversal at WWDC this year.

ButteryScrollin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2014
NBA 2K16 TV Edition is available, so more of the big sports games might show up.

Cd4GKeTW8AEgxhi.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/AppleTV_Gaming/status/711012569905909761[/QUOTE]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.