Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

feyd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2005
hello

i have a problem i have a PowerMac G4 with operating system but i don't no root password and i can't log as a user. Simply i have foun that computer and i want to use it withaut reinstaling system and i don't know how to do it. i use linux operating system on my PC and in this situation i can chroot but how to do it at macintosh

i know that there are a lot of information on the websites but i don't have network access that's why i'm writing this post

i will be grateful for any information, i'm newbie :(

ps: sorry for all my mistake my english isn't best

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Do you have system installation disks, either that came with the computer, or that have the same operating system version? If you boot off the system installation disks, you can reset the master password and create a user account, even without reinstalling. I think the disks must be the same version as the currently installed OS to avoid re-install though.

EDIT: I hope you obtained a computer, for which you have no passwords, in a LEGAL way.... :(

dan-o-mac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Resetting the original administrator account password

Follow these steps to reset a password when there is only one administrator account on the computer, or if the original administrator account (of several) needs a password reset. "Original" administrator account refers to the one that was created immediately after installing Mac OS X. If the original administrator password is known, the original administrator user may reset the passwords of other administrator accounts using the steps described above.

Start up from a Mac OS X Install CD (one whose version is closest the the version of Mac OS X installed). You should first disable Open Firmware password protection, if it is enabled. Hold the C key as the computer starts.

Choose Reset Password from the Installer menu (or Utilities menu in Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger). Tip: If you don't see this menu or menu choice, you're probably not started from the CD yet.

Select your Mac OS X hard disk volume.

Set the user name of your original administrator account.
Important: Do not select "System Administrator (root)". This is actually a reference to the root user. Do not confuse it with a normal administrator account.

Enter a new password.

Click Save.

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
feyd said:
Simply i have foun that computer and i want to use it withaut reinstaling system and i don't know how to do it.
Well, it is a little late (as people jumped to give an answer), but more information on how you found this PowerMac G4 seems in order.

Macs (even older ones) aren't usually just lying around to be found. And sellers (legitimate ones) usually give that type of information to the buyer.

dan-o-mac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
RacerX said:
Well, it is a little late (as people jumped to give an answer), but more information on how you found this PowerMac G4 seems in order.

Macs (even older ones) aren't usually just lying around to be found. And sellers (legitimate ones) usually give that type of information to the buyer.

And who are you that he has to answer where and how he found this computer? :rolleyes:

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
dan-o-mac said:
And who are you that he has to answer where and how he found this computer? :rolleyes:
In my experience around these forums, many people don't like giving advice for something they think might be illegal. I think its a good quesiton and I wouldn't have helped without more info either.

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
CanadaRAM said:
Although allowances are to me made for someone whose first language isn't English -- and the interpretation of 'foun' -- as in perhaps "I found this machine on eBay"
True, I try to give people the benefit of the doubt, but it still sounds pretty fishy to me. :rolleyes:

feyd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2005
i didn't ssteal it !!!

hello

i want to say "thank you" for help

and in deed i didn't find it but i work for a company which rebuit office where a lot of computers were going to be throw away and there were 2 MAC one is working but it has no mamory and graphic card and the second one was dead and they let me to take it but there was nobody to tell me root or user pasword but i took it i'm very lucky :)

but i need graphic card because i have borrowed one and i can't buy it through net because i have no paypal count so the next question do you know vere i can get second hand computer stuff in NYC i also looking for power suply because i want use it in europ there is 230 V

feyd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2005
hello

i haven't try your sollutoin yet but i think it's gonna work becasue i do something like that on my PC computer wit debian onboard :)

feyd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2005
hello

i have no disk with that comp so my question is what operating system it can be which MAC OS because i think i will need it :)

TheMonarch

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2005
Bay Area
Wait, so if in the extremely unfortunate event that my mac is stolen. People can view all of my precious data using any old Tiger disk??? :(

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
blaskillet4 said:
Wait, so if in the extremely unfortunate event that my mac is stolen. People can view all of my precious data using any old Tiger disk??? :(

Yes unless you use fire vault, keep confidential data in encrypted .dmgs or set an Open Firmware password that doesn't allow booting from CD.

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
dan-o-mac said:
I guess I'm the person smart enough not to give out answers that could be used for illegal purposes without asking a few basic questions first.

:rolleyes:

And I guess you are one of the people who didn't think about the consequences of blurting out an answer without asking those basic questions.

Does that put our relative positions on this issue into perspective for you?

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
Also, sometimes this works, but if you boot into Single-User mode - hold down the s key while starting, and type in passwd root you can change the root password - provided root was enabled very firstly. You can also make a user by like... adduser or something like that I think, not sure, but I think you can.

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
yippy said:
Yes unless you use fire vault, keep confidential data in encrypted .dmgs or set an Open Firmware password that doesn't allow booting from CD.
how do you set an open firmware password that doesn't allow booting from CDs?

mackaveli

macrumors regular
May 1, 2005
tjwett said:
you can set a root password by typing "su passwd root" in the Terminal

is that for what heb1128 said? cause i wouldnt want someone to view my stuff just cause they have a tiger disk (does it have to be the original tiger disks that came with my powermac, or any tiger disc they buy)? thanks

dan-o-mac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
RacerX said:
I guess I'm the person smart enough not to give out answers that could be used for illegal purposes without asking a few basic questions first.

:rolleyes:

And I guess you are one of the people who didn't think about the consequences of blurting out an answer without asking those basic questions.

Does that put our relative positions on this issue into perspective for you?

Bingo, you win a prize I'm the one that doesn't give a ****! Are you the person smart enough to realize that the info is all over the web, even on Apple's own site, which is where I pulled the answer from. Besides, I didn't ask you if your the person smart enough not to give out answers. The question I asked you was, who are you to question how he found it?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
mackaveli said:
is that for what heb1128 said? cause i wouldnt want someone to view my stuff just cause they have a tiger disk (does it have to be the original tiger disks that came with my powermac, or any tiger disc they buy)? thanks

No -- the root password is just an OS software thing. The way to set the OF password, which is in hardware, is at this link:

http://www.securemac.com/openfirmwarepasswordprotection.php

Be forewarned.... you're pretty much on your own if you somehow forget it. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.