Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twenel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2008
OK, this is irritating. I just rented my first movie using my ATV2 and it seems to have downloaded and everything works fine. I can watch movie trailers and other video like video podcasts. When I select "play" the movie seems to start (the countdown to 24 hours was activated) but there is no audio or video. The ATV2 is connected to my Sony HD TV using component cables.
Any suggestions would be helpful.

slate1

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2006
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.6) Alltel HTC Touch)

camarobh said:
I think the problem is HDCP (content protection). It doesn't work with component cables, you have to use HDMI.

AppleTV does not require HDMI, it works just fine in my setup via component cables.

camarobh

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2007
San Diego, CA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.6) Alltel HTC Touch)

AppleTV does not require HDMI, it works just fine in my setup via component cables.

Have you rented and watched a movie? I thought I remembered that a digital connection (HDMI) was required for rented movies.

slate1

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2006

camarobh said:

Have you rented and watched a movie? I thought I remembered that a digital connection (HDMI) was required for rented movies.

yes - two in fact, one SD one HD

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.