No way to search iTunes library?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by elfy, Sep 6, 2013.

1. elfy, Sep 6, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2013

macrumors 6502

Is there a way on Apple TV to search movies and TV shows in your library? Like, if I wanted to watch a Ewan McGregor movie, I could just search his name and all movies tagged with his name would show up? Or even just to search for a movie title? Just realised once I convert and add about 600 movies, they may be a bit of a pain to find.

2. macrumors 68030

FreakinEurekan

No way with the silver remote, but if you use the Remote app on iPhone/iPad you get full search capability.

3. macrumors 6502

Ah okay, that'll work. Thanks very much for your help. Appreciate it.

4. macrumors 68000

I don't get the search by Actor names work for me. The iOS Remote search just returns matches from track titles.

5. macrumors regular

The key being that all movies are tagged with that information.

6. macrumors 68000

My movies are. I've created smart playlists for some actors and I can use these fine, even from aTV interface. But the search on Remote does match my search string only in the title.

7. macrumors 68030

FreakinEurekan

Yep, you're right. I don't use search by actor often, knew I'd done it though and thought it was in Remote. What I did was use the Videos app - connect to my shared library. I can search by actor from there, and even go ahead and play the video through AirPlay (though that ties up the device). Or, I can just identify the movie I want and then switch to the Remote app to play it.