No Wii For Mi.....

Discussion in 'Games' started by SamIchi, Nov 19, 2006.

1. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

This morning I went to CC to get a Wii and ended up being the 25th person, they had 24. Some guy was standing in line and scalped his voucher... some old guy came up and bought it from him for $40. The guy came out of nowhere, right as they were handin' out the vouchers. I can't be mad at that but there's goes my opportunity. I wasn't goin to pay $40 for a voucher anyways.

I've called every department store in a 30mi radius but no avail. There are a lot of stores around here too, they all were sold out. Everyone was so optimistic here on MR, next time I'm not listenin to you guys :p That's all I wanted to say.

So who actually walked in a store a picked one up from the shelves? Anyone know when the next shipment is?

2. TequilaBoobs macrumors 6502a

TequilaBoobs

i knew the wii was going to be in high demand this weekend, pretty much every channel in pennsylvania predicted the wii would sell out over the weekend much in the same way PS3 did.

Im still waiting for the dust to settle before i make the leap. just bought the blackbook, so it will be difficult to justify a $600 PS3, though thats wat i want.

3. slick316 macrumors 6502

Same situation here with me. Tons of stores to get the Wii from, all of them are sold out.
    I bet the demand for Wii wasn't big until the PS3's demand got out of hand, leaving tons of people with a PS3 and money burning a hole in there pockets.
    Oh well, hopefully I can pick one up somewhere in the next couple days, would like to play the Wii with my family/relatives during Thanksgiving :)

4. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I was also thinkin about how the PS3 caused so such a craze more people were will to wait for the Wii.
    Same here. I also wanted to play with friends n fam over the break. It's not lookin good though.

5. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I'm sure there will be at least a couple of shipments before friday

6. TequilaBoobs macrumors 6502a

TequilaBoobs

you know popular board games are coming back - monopoly and operation are great time killers and a fraction of the price of a wiiiiiiiiiii!!

7. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I really hope so.

What do you guys think is the best way to approach this? Go to the places and ask when the next shipment is? I hope shipments come in before Turkey Day.

Yea if it was Monopoly Nintendo Edition, which is like 50 bucks. Other than eh.

8. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

No harm in asking. 9 out of 10 places most likely don't know what they'll be receiving in deliveries until it arrives, which is a bitch, but thats just how it works.

9. JW008 macrumors 6502

I asked at Wal-Mart last night (I too was 24th in line with only 20), and the manager said, "Not that I have any inside information (hint hint wink wink), but we're going to get twenty more before Thursday." I don't know if that's nationwide, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't.

Also, I asked Best Buy and they said that they expected to have no shortage after Friday.

10. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I went to BestBuy an hour and a half before it opened and just picked one up. They had 102 and i was number 70.

11. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

I got one from Target. Went there at 7:15am, it opened at 8:00am. I was like number 58 out of 60. :eek:

12. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

Sucks here too...seems like EVERYONE is sold out. Well everyone is sold out, I called 3 best buys, 2 CC's, 3 targets, 2 sears, comp usa, 2 Toys are us, ALL SOLD OUT. But i do got a funny story to tell: I work at a pharmacy in Kmart and the electronics lady told me 2 days ago we had 12 in stock. I had told her to save me one, and she said yeah cool. We opened up at 8 AM this morning, and I decided to go around 7 AM to see what was up. As I got there I saw 3 kids waiting outside, had been there since 8PM the day before, and the smart ass kids were like "Hope your not here for a wii, because they only got 3, and we got 3 tickets". Reaaal snoby kids. It was funny to see thier faces when I said "I work here, and trust me I'm going to be walking out with a wii in the next 10 minutes", then put in my key and walked into the store. They looked like they had seen a ghost it was so funny. I was confident because they had told me we were ging to have 12. When I got to the back, the store manager (which is a good friend of mine) told me that indeed we only got 3. BUMMER. We acutally did talk about how to screw one of the kids over, and say we only got 2, but then I decided to be a nice guy and have them keep the 3. I'm a true believer in karma, and IMO it would be just wrong to screw over a 15 year old who had been waiting in line for 12 hours in the cold (it did drop to 60 degrees here in miami, which is cold for us). I had just decided this week to get a wii, and Im sure they had been anticipating it for longer. I could easily wait, and my freind that works in BB said they should have another shipment within 10 days. But I wasnt going to let the kids get off that easy. The manager gave me the empty box of the wii that we have on display. So as i walked outta the store with the empty box, I walked by them and said " told ya, now you 3 better think of something because only 2 of you are getting wii's"..there was dead silence for about 7-10 seconds, and before one of them got to say something, I told them I was jk, and obviously they didnt laugh because they saw that i had the box in my hand. After i told them it was empty, and they felt it, they looked soooooo relieved. I told them to enjoy the wii's and to study hard...lol. Sooooooooo anyways I guess i'll be getting my wii later on.

13. Phobophobia macrumors 6502

I laughed.

I love the use of morals in your story. Sometimes the tactics people use to get what they want can be downright scary.

14. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

I agree man. What got me was that I knew how much fun these kids were going to have now that turkey day break is coming up, and in reality they would play it more than me because as we speak i'm getting raped with school work so i really dont have much time to play it :p . I guess it worked out for both parties :rolleyes:

15. JW008 macrumors 6502

Ahahaha...I actually laughed at loud at this. You should have reminded them to not do drugs, either. So it was 60 in Miami? It got down to 40 up here in Tally.

Also, I didn't think about K-Mart, I might try calling there.

16. TequilaBoobs macrumors 6502a

TequilaBoobs

i wouldve taken the system and sold it on ebay to pay for the next wii purchase... but thats just me.

17. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

I kno for a FACT that the 6 stores here in the district got atleast 3, so I'm sure the ones up there got some. Also try sears. good luck

18. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Pure awesome.

19. Silentwave macrumors 68000

AJ that was a cool story :D

Which Toys R Us and Best buys did you call here in MIA?

20. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Sears still has some stock left, none of the game stores have any as they were probably the first bombarded this morning.

I got mine from a Target around 10am.

They arent sold out, you just have to go to more than 1 place to find them :)

Or you can get ripped off by a fellow MR member and pay more for an item that really isnt that rare.

21. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

Silentwave I called ALL OF THEM...yes ALL OF THEM lol. If they got a store in Miami, I called. The costco on 137th ave and 88th street in kendall which is where my mom lives said they are going to be receiving some tommorow, and toys r us pretty much said to call back everyday. where in miami do u live?

22. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I bought Zelda! It's great as far as I've gotten.

Anyway here's my "Wii story".

I got up around 8pm, drove to various stores, picked up Zelda at Wal-Mart because I heard it was in low supply although I found out later almost every place had it, and ended up at Best Buy eventually.

The line outside wasn't terribly long so I went to the back of it and spent about 5 minutes total waiting. I didn't know if I'd get one or not but hey I can wait 5 minutes. Some of those people had been there 24 hours! I got to the door and the lady checked and they had 5 more. So she let me and 4 other people in to get them. I got to the guy and he asked if I had my ticket. I was like, "Ticket?". Apparently they had given out tickets at 8am and the 5 ticket holders hadn't shown up. They still wouldn't sell me one and I left Wii-less... :( I then stopped at Target and K-Mart and well... all sold out. So I have no Wii.

But the packaging for Zelda looks great... *sniffle*

Ah well... I have so much other stuff to do anyway. I can wait a bit. Kinda irked about the discommunication between the lady at the door and the guy at the counter but it happens. Maybe I coulda "thrown a fuss" but it probably would've been unproductive and there were more stores to go to.

23. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Sorry man. But, we were NOT allowed at all, to sell without the ticket, as without the ticket being scanned, the computer wont let it be sold. Kinda retarded, I know. :/ But dont worry, we're gonna get them every single week. :D

Oh, and my friend Sandra was able to walk into Toys R Us at 8:50 am in line, and walk out with her Wii.

24. munchmime macrumors member

I walked in to target today and bought a Wii.

We got there at 6am, door opened at 8am. we were 32 in line, out of 69 systems. all the rumor sites that talked about Target stores stock numbers, were right on. 69, 60, 69 ... etc in our area. ALL stores had the numbers reported.

I had my wii and drove by a toys r us, a bestbuy, a gamestop, and a circuit city, which still had lines and no sign of doors opening.

I was happy, and laughing.

I forgot to add, stores are expecting weekly shipments in decent to large quantities. especially Target and Toys - R- Us

25. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

At my best buy i got there at 6:30 and there were already 100 people in line! I got one but only 2 others behind me did, if i had waited an extra 10 minutes at home before i left i wouldn't have gotten one :)