NOAA Widget (weather, satallite / radar, warnings / watches, etc.)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by law guy, Jun 19, 2005.

1. law guy macrumors 6502a

law guy

Anyone working on a NOAA weather widget? It would be great to have a widget that linked to NOAA weather data (with options to choose marine and aviation forecasts) and satalite and radar data. Weather statement pop-ups of some sort would be really neat (e.g., NOAA issuances of Tornado warnings / watches, thunderstorm warnings / watches, hurricane and tropical storm warnings/watches, etc.) Weather is an interest of mine and accuweather is not my favorite - I don't have the skills to create such a thing, but it would wonderful if someone is working on such a NOAA widget. :)

The NOAA NWS site can be found at: www.weather.gov (also: http://www.nws.noaa.gov/)

2. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

I agree. I am obsessed with the weather. This would be a great widget :)

3. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

i am probably the most "obsessed" with weather on here. check out my thread. anyways i would like to see more than just a plain old NOAA widget. i think something that would top that could be something from the SPC homepage.

you know, mesoscale discussions, convective outlooks and of course watches/warnings. i of course really wouldnt even need it because i am a nerd and look at the spc homepage once or twice and hr when i am online :p

4. law guy thread starter macrumors 6502a

law guy

Yoda13 - Good to see someone else out there fasinated by weather. As a sidenote - have you read "Restless Skies, The Ultimate Weather Book" by Paul Douglass? This may be too elementary for you, but I really enjoyed it.

Hopefully someone will take up the NOAA widget cause.

5. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

ohh if anyone cares.

dont know how "into" weather anyone else is

SPC

6. law guy thread starter macrumors 6502a

law guy

Nice link. There's so much interesting data on the NOAA site. That map on the SPC link would be a great active desktop background as well (can that be done in OS X?).

7. law guy thread starter macrumors 6502a

law guy

Thanks for the link. It's a start, albeit a rather limited one given that it just lists Hurricane bullitins (or apperas to - will download and explore it) - perhaps that company is working on developing a more robust NOAA widget. Even within Hurricanes, it could do so much more: links to latest tracking data, satellite photos, hurricane hunter fly-through data, etc. Good to see a company linking up with the data though - thanks again for the link!

EDIT: links to hurricane sat. images - nice feature.

8. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

No, I hadn't read that book. Thanks for the heads up, I will look into it :)

9. Pukey macrumors 6502

Pukey

10. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

sorry had to post before reading posts.

how is a weather website NWS?:confused: (is it the naked news:D)

11. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Just use Safari and make the widget yourself. Simple solution for now.

Attached Files:

12. MooneyDog macrumors newbie

Aviation and pilot data on Mac

There is a dashboard widget "Aviation Weather" that will show basic data for one airport.

BUT for more info--

Good link for pilots which includes info such aviation weather, graphic weather charts, notams, airport diagrams and procedures, etc.
    You can also store your personal info, plane performance data, store frequently used routes.
    check out:

http://www.duats.com/duats.cgi

You must sign up for Duats access. Safari will save your access code and password and then automatically sign you on after first time.

I found this site while looking for a replacement for the "Cirrus/GoldenEagle" ( Windows software :-( )

This program "CSC DUATS on the Web" is IMHO more "user friendly"

Hope this helps.