Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oppressed

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2010
I just received the Nodus Access Case for my iPhone Six Plus and I thought I would share my initial thoughts regarding this premium folio case.

3SUS4Gul.jpg

What first attracted me to the case was the fact that it attached to the phone via adhesive surface. I felt this was necessary because of the curved edges of the iPhone. All other cases in which the phone snaps into a plastic shell all but distract from this elegant design feature.

The second reason I chose this case was the built in stand as shown above. It allows me to lay it on my chest while in bed, have a comfortable angle to read something while eating lunch at work, and a host of other options. Lets be honest here, an iPhone six plus with this sort of case is the closest thing you will get to an iPad mini mini. ;)

zfJ0ym8.jpg

The case itself is relatively thick. It will double the thickness of the iPhone six plus. Although you should be expecting this when looking into the folio style cases anyway. If you want for a slim folio case look at Twelve South's Surface Pad. This however features top quality leather. This isn't a soft leather however, but it should age well.

Also in the image above on the left hand side you will notice a strip of the adhesive used to attach the phone on the panel that covers the front display. Unfortunately I found this all but useless. It does not keep the cover down at all and I have considered removing it because all it ends up being is a lint magnet. I feel that a part of the reason this feature does not work is because of how stiff the leather is. To give you an idea of how stiff check out the next image.

v59oMRs.jpg

Now I'm going to use this case for a while and hopefully the leather will soften a bit so that it will become more functional. I will report back with how it holds up.

PROS:
  • Premium Leather
  • Caseless iPhone Feel
  • iPad-like Stand

CONS:
  • VERY Stiff Leather
  • Cover Cannot Close Completely

Found here:
http://thenoduscollection.com/pages/the-access-case

I'll answer any questions you guys might have.

Kavier

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Thank you for the review. I thought about getting one myself, but I wasn't sure it would remain closed...guess I'll have to keep looking. Such a shame...it's a beautiful case otherwise.

Paulshaqz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2009
thanks for a great review i've been looking for weeks for this case as a review and was tempted to buy it as well but now kinda thinking twice since the top doesn't close.

Oppressed

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2010
Just to reiterate I am still going to give this case a good shot and see if it loosens up a bit. If it does it should be a fine case.

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
I've been very tempted by the Twelve South Surface Pad, especially since it appears to be easy to install and remove as necessary. Thanks for the review on this one, though!

Ajsam

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2013
Georgia
Do you think that the apple leather case or a similar thin case could be used in combination with the Nodus?

KenB

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2014
Portland, Oregon
Just to reiterate I am still going to give this case a good shot and see if it loosens up a bit. If it does it should be a fine case.

Why not treat it like a new baseball glove? Oil and work the leather, then put it in the closed position between your mattress and box spring for a week.

gppittjk

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
I've got the access case for the 6. I thought i had the same problem. The leather needs to loosen before the case will stay shut. I "baseball gloved" mine - i put two sharpies inside, tied a rubber band around it, and stuck it under my mattress overnight. Come morning, the case stayed shut. I'm going to do it a couple more times, because the leather tightened back up a bit during the day. as you use it, it will get looser - the one I had for the iPhone 5 aged really well and got nice and loose.

onlineaddy

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2010
Mine came with defects in the leather. I've emailed the company and am awaiting their response. It's been a few days now.

Oppressed

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2010
so it is somewhat looser, but the real problem now is the adhesive that held the phone in place does not seem to hold the phone any more. I've tried cleaning it the way recommended on their site, but to no avail.

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
so it is somewhat looser, but the real problem now is the adhesive that held the phone in place does not seem to hold the phone any more. I've tried cleaning it the way recommended on their site, but to no avail.
Have you used this AND the TwelveSouth SurfacePad? I'm considering both of these for the upcoming 6S Plus... Not sure which to get!

MisterMillz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2011
FL, USA
Have you used this AND the TwelveSouth SurfacePad? I'm considering both of these for the upcoming 6S Plus... Not sure which to get!
Nodus Access all the way. More protective, holds more cards, built in stand and if you're into quality leather products, you won't steer wrong with their craftsmanship.

0zu

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2015
I wish my Nodus Access Case had that problem. Mine actually adhered so well to my iPhone's display that it actually removed the oleophobic coating right off!

Here's my own small review of the case with some pictures:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/nodus-access-case-a-warning.1884830/

Talking to Nodus customer service was the worst part. Not only did they refuse to acknowledge that this was their fault, but blamed be for issue even after providing them with proof that it was their case that damaged my phone.

This is a nice case ruined by a bad company. Shame.

Reactions: dk206
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.