noise pollution + inconsiderate neighbors.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by zim, Apr 13, 2006.

1. zim macrumors 65816

Jan 5, 2002
    My neighbor, two houses over, has had his house up for sale as long as we have lived here (approximately 1 year now). He recently has or at least it appears he has turned off his electricity and switched to a gas generator, not sure how this saves him money. Can he does this? I mean it has been two weeks that we have been listening to this thing and I am starting to get extremely annoyed. He runs it from dusk till late into the AM. Fortunately we can not hear the generator from our bedroom but siting in the living room or in my computer room is frustrating. At first I said I would block it out but now it is just getting to the point where I can't take it. I feel bad for the people that live directly on either side of him... wonder why no one has done anything??

Should I do something? He runs it all night. Any advise?
  2. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

May 6, 2005
    Bay Area
    I think that 11pm-5am or something, it is illegal for him to make noise which neighbors can hear.

Call the cops.

EDIT: Wait. Did you talk to him first? Try that before proceeding. :)
  3. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Jan 26, 2005
    you should ask your neighbors what they think of the noise, and have all of you guys either write a polite letter to the person, or call maybe the home owners association of the area.
  4. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

Mar 3, 2004
    I agree with this as well as checking to see what the law is in your township.
  5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    It's not whether it can be heard (otherwise you couldn't close your front door, or run an air conditioner) but is what decibel level the noise is. Your local bylaws will specify what intensity of noise at what distance is permitted.

The guy probably hasn't paid his electric bill for a year -- and in order to get it turned back on he'd have to pay $thousands. It'll be really interesting if someone buys the place and is the utility insists that the back bill be paid before they put the house back on the grid. Wonder what other hidden surprises are in store?
  6. zim thread starter macrumors 65816

Jan 5, 2002
    Calling the cops is a last resort, I am not out to make enemies. I think I will talk with the in-between neighbor first, see if they can give me some advise on how to talk with him. I honestly don't get why he is there. They put the house up on the market and the family appears to have moved out, so now it is just him and a dog which he lets run free.. which is another topic.

I at least now feel good that others agree with me that it is noise pollution and he should not be running it. I wouldn't mind if it was like for a day or two but we are going on the end of two weeks now. Not sure how his immediate neighbors can put up with it.

HA! Well I think the guy is insane to start with. He wants over 300,000+ for it. I understand it is a cape and we are on Cape Cod but come on! I have seen only one family look at it and they walked away. The place needs some serious work I wouldn't be surprised if it never sells. But what you stated does make sense and I bet you are right.. end of the line, not selling not paying bills.. yet gas is not a drop in the hat (not sure if I used that line right).