Noisy eMacs ?!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Kirk, Jan 15, 2004.

1. Kirk macrumors regular

Kirk

I went to my local Apple reseller today to look at an eMac. Unfortunatly they didn’t have any on display, and the sales-guy said it was because they hardly sold anyone, due to the fact that the fan generated so much noise! He made it quite clear that he would NEVER buy one himself. Instead he tried to sell me an iMac.

Is this true? DO they make A LOT of noise? Like really annoying? :confused:

I sort of had desided to buy a new eMac to be able to run GarageBand, but now I am not so sure anymore . . . :(

2. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    either this guy must have ultra senstive ears or he just wants a higher commission. the emac, though not stylish, as far as i know has never had noise pollution as an issue. Its not silent like a cube but its not a leaf blower like the g4 powermacs.

i personally dont find it loud at all.

3. Calliander macrumors member

Agreed.

Although, some coworkers of mine actually modified the fan so that the power to it was controlled by a toggle on the side, just because they could. :)

4. evil macrumors 6502

i have an emac.
    personally i think it is one of the best apple computers in terms of monetary value.

there is a bit of a fan noise, but nothing out of the ordinary. it is no louder than a desktop or anything.

i have had my emac for a few months now and have found it to be an excellent computer.

the guy at the store must have just got back from his smoking crack break.

5. Kirk thread starter macrumors regular

Kirk

He actually stood outside smoking when I turned up . . ! :p

I think I’m gonna buy one after all! Just waiting for a new update . . !

:D

6. weev macrumors regular

weev

so many defenders - do you guys work/sell for apple??

face it, it's a noise box

7. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

it's certainly noisier than an iMac, that's for sure. but i don't think it's any noisier than other desktops. the difference is, with regular desktops, you can put the tower far away because the monitor is separate. with an eMac, you have no choice about where to put the tower because tower = monitor.

you need to decide for yourself how noisy it is...

EDIT: FWIW, it's nothing like the MDD PM's. man, those are like vacuum! :eek:

8. ghostboy macrumors newbie

I have one and sometimes it does get rather noisy, so much so I think it's going to take off. It does look kinda like a jet engine...from the back.

Yes I'm serious. Great computer all the same :)

9. FriarTuck macrumors 6502

FriarTuck

I have a Rev A consumer eMac (700/CDRW el cheapo) and it's about the same as my PeeCee at home and quieter than my work PeeCee.

But it does sound a bit loud after working on my whisper-quiet PB 12".:)

10. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

I never notice the noise on my emac 700 combo.

Use the money you save to buy good speakers and you'll never hear the fan.

11. jamdr macrumors 6502a

jamdr

Sorry, I had to post because I laughed out loud when I read this. The way you put it so bluntly is just funny. Plus, it's true.

I own a 1 GHz eMac and yes, it is a bit noisy. But that's only compared to my PowerBook, which I've been using exclusively for a while. Compared to my old PowerMac G4 and some of the PCs at my university, it's really not that bad. Despite the (relatively) loud fan, I agree with the previous poster that the eMac is one of the best computers Apple has made. I mean, it's basically part of the original iMac CRT family--simple, easy, and an incredibly good value. I consider myself lucky that I bought it.

12. PismoGuy macrumors member

noisy... yes.

Family friends and myself got my mother to return her then new PowerSpec 2.53Ghz P4 and get a Mac (I thought it was a good PC...Like the company, but Macs Rule).

She got an 800Mhz rev A eMac instead because she did not want to pay more than the PC was worth. I was disappointed that she didn't get the iMac; I told myself that it not for me and not like she need s the extra power. At first glance I didn't like the eMac but now appreciate its quality. I sometimes spend long hours in front of it and the fan does start to get to you if it is the only noise contributor in the room. It's not quiet at all, about as loud as the PowerSpec. The upside is that the noise it produces can be easily tuned out of your head.

But then again I can tell you if a tv is turned on in another room muted and with a dark or blue screen(also goes for computer monitors) :cool::rolleyes:

13. PismoGuy macrumors member

PB 12"

Does it have any loud moments like the PB G3's has during intense 3d gaming(UT1k999:D ) or FCP rendering?

Once my 500mhz Pismo's fan kicks in, it drowns the emac's noise. I can only compare it to a surfer on speed trying to catch a wave on the other side of the earth in a 747 outfitted with the shuttle's booster rockets.

14. FriarTuck macrumors 6502

FriarTuck

Re: PB 12"

When the fan kicks in on my PB12, it gets about as loud as if I were running the water on a drinking fountain (weird comparison, I know, but that's the best I can do).

Just like with car engines, you can have a purring, growling noise, or a heavy machinery noise, depending on whether you've bought a BMW or a Cavalier. My PB's noise is of the purr/growl variety and just brings a smile to my face because I know my little friend is working hard for me. :D

15. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

SOOO in conclusions, lets all say in unision, its not a silent machine, but the noise isnt any different from normal machines.

16. warcraftmaster macrumors regular

ya you can say that
    i like the emacs i use them at school all the time.
    i may get one for my mom and dad:D
    i just saw a post to get the 800mhz ones to 1.4ghz.and 1.4ghz(appleghz that is) for 600$ sounds good to me

17. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

My Sawtooth G4 has two fans (PSU &GPU) and two Hard drives. It has never been decribed as noisy by PC standards. My Sawtooth drowns out the noise of my girfriends eMac.

The Apple reseller was obviously an expert at meeting sales quotas.:)

18. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Re: noisy... yes.

You can do that too? Whenever I use my eMac I tend to be able to just block that little whine out of head and all of a sudden the room is completley silent. Amazing what the human brain can do.

19. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

somehow i happen to be able to block out whole letures not just computer noise

20. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

sounds like a salesman try to push imacs, i bet he didnt tell you that the 1.0 Emac was outperforming the 1.0 Imac did he? sure he didnt. Emac is a very good machine and Apples best value if you ask me. Its the only one still made in America i think.

21. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

Sadly, its one of the few left. The powrmac G5 2ghz is made in USA, but the 1.6ghz is made in Taiwan. The old PM G4 is also made in the USA.

This is why the eMac is such a reliable computer.

22. Kirk thread starter macrumors regular

Kirk

How do you guys see the chances of an update coming any time soon? Know anyone at the factory by any chance . . ? ;)

23. Voiteur macrumors member

Actually, I think emacs are (were) made in China. At least that's what my mom's said on the box.
    As far as the guy at the store goes... he was clearly trying to upsell. The emac is great, buy it. It will make fan noise when it is thinking hard... but nothing ridiculous. The worst mac I've heard is the G4 PowerMac, they are constantly blowing up a storm. When a lab I work in switched to from the G4 Powermac to Dual G5's it was suddenly silent in the room. But, when I decided to render a complex Final Cut project on the G5 it nearly took off and flew away.
    The quietest computer around: My Ruby iMac.

24. CMillerERAU macrumors regular

Heck I use my eMac in an office with an Xserve sitting on some boxes (too cheap for a rack). When I turn off the Xserve that eMac is whisper quiet! :) but seriously, sure it has noise but big deal, so does most computers. If you're so sensitive get an iMac or laptop. Or be like me and have an Xserve grinding away all day, you'll never notice the eMac then!