Noisy optical drive in powerbook! Think you're a Mac guru? Find out here.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by motulist, Oct 14, 2005.

1. motulist macrumors 68040

Dec 2, 2003
    When I play certain audio cds in my powerbook it spins so loudly that I'll sometimes go through the trouble of ripping the disk to mp3 first. The drive only needs to spin the cd at around 1 times speed anyway. There MUST be a way I can limit the cd's read speed temporarily. If you can answer this one then you are a true Mac guru.
  2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Well, I can't take any credit. :eek:

3. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Apr 25, 2004
    The reason the drive spins at its maximum speed is because all new OS's (including both OS X and Windows XP) transfer the audio data through the system bus, and don't use the old fasioned CD track calls which would send the music through that tiny analoge cable in the back of the CD drive and which would plug into the soundcard. Because the drive believes it is reading data instead of CD audio, it runs at full speed.

Some newer drives are actually smart enough to recognize audio CD's as well as movie DVD's and run at a slower speed to keep quiet. However, I don't know of any way to slow the drive down outside of hacking the firmware of the drive. I know of hacked firmwares to speed up drives to rip DVD's faster than normal, but i've never seen one to slow it down.