Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
I've had my powerbook for about a month now and until recently i hadn't used the superdrive much. I just finished backing up some of my data onto a DVD+RW and couldn't help but notice the noise coming from the superdrive. The drive just whirls away for the majority of the time. Then occasionally you here the head (I suppose) zipping around together with what I can only describe as a grinding noise. Like the kind of sound you'd expect to hear when a little plastic wheel with teeth is slipping when it isn't supposed to. Anybody else experience these noises from the superdrive? Do you think its worth reporting to Apple. I'm afraid I might had a faulty superdrive! It seems to burn/ read everything fine by the way.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
For what it's worth, my iBook's combo drive is pretty loud but there's not even a hint of teeth gnashing or anything like that. :confused:

Maybe get it looked at just to make sure it doesn't pack up a couple of weeks down the track, that'd be horrible.

witness

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2005
Austria
mfacey said:
I've had my powerbook for about a month now and until recently i hadn't used the superdrive much. I just finished backing up some of my data onto a DVD+RW and couldn't help but notice the noise coming from the superdrive. The drive just whirls away for the majority of the time. Then occasionally you here the head (I suppose) zipping around together with what I can only describe as a grinding noise. Like the kind of sound you'd expect to hear when a little plastic wheel with teeth is slipping when it isn't supposed to. Anybody else experience these noises from the superdrive? Do you think its worth reporting to Apple. I'm afraid I might had a faulty superdrive! It seems to burn/ read everything fine by the way.
I've had 2 PowerBooks that made the exact noise that you describe (including my current one). I spoke to someone at my local Apple store about it and they didn't think that it was a problem.

My main concern was that a DVD might get scratched, but they always seem to come out ok.

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
my 12in rev.D Powerbook also has a noisy superdrive, so at least you're not alone! It seems to be most noisy when snatching Cd's from me and loading them. Also when I import songs it sort of makes a weird grinding sort of sound every now and then (although it really is a hard one to explain, it kind of sounds like the thing is groaning). But I heard that they were just loud so thought no more of it. hope this is normal after all! :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.