Nokia 6280 on 3 network.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kretzy, Mar 24, 2006.

1. kretzy macrumors 604

Sep 11, 2004
    Canberra, Australia
    My Samsung E700 is on it's last legs - the screen is dying and the camera doesn't work - so I'm looking at getting a new phone.

The Nokia 6280 has caught my eye on a plan from 3. It's around my price range and I quite like the features and look of the Nokia. I was just wondering if anyone here has any experience with it - good things, bad things, whatever. I've also read that it's not usable with iSync, is there any chance it eventually will be?

The other thing I'm curious in is the quality of 3's network. I've heard some bad reports about drop-outs and poor coverage. Anyone had any experience with the network?

I appreciate any comments!

2. R.Youden macrumors 68020

Apr 1, 2005
    In the UK 3 aint great. They sell most of their phones from pharmacy stores! I think they where very over-hyped and came out before the 3G era really took off. They are better now, but still not upto Vodaphone and O2.

It depends what you want really, if you want 3G stuff then go for them, if nt I believe that Vodaphone are selling the 6280. Also maybe look at the 6270 which is the same but doesnt use 3G.

As for the non syncing it is a bugger I agree, I am after a new phone maybe and this is just what I am looking for but it wont work with iSync. I believe that it is due to the Series 40 OS. I believe that the N80 will synce when released as it is a Series 60 OS. I can imagine that the N80 will cost more that the 6280 but it has some great features.
  3. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

Oct 26, 2003
    Cardiff, Wales
    My friend just got that exact contract: 3 with the 6280. The phone is VERY nice, if not a tiny bit too big. The screen is beautiful on it.

3 however, he's had no problems so far. I've had TONNES of problems with Virgin, don't go there. I've heard 3 can be the same though, a pain for customer service. I'd go with O2, Voda or Orange as they're all REAL instituted providers and market leaders.
  4. surroundfan macrumors 6502

Nov 22, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    If you can live without 3G, the Sony Ericsson K750i is a sweet piece of kit and is fully compatible with iSync, as well as being a fair bit smaller than the Nokia. It can be had on $30 per month plans on Virgin (I have mine on a $33 per month plan with B and have nothing but praise for their customer service).

I've heard bad things about handovers from the Three 3G network to Telstra's GSM network, and in the early days of Three, its customer service was woeful.

Finally, the Nokias are locked to Three, so it will be costly to switch if you're unhappy with Three...

Anyway, go and have a poke around the phone lounge on Whirlpool. They're a wealth of knowledge on all things phone-related...
  5. kretzy thread starter macrumors 604

Sep 11, 2004
    Canberra, Australia
    Thanks for the comments everyone! :)

surroundfan[/B, you've basically voiced all of my main concerns. I'm not that desperate for all of the 3G stuff, it was just that 3 seemed to offer some good deals. The SE K750i was one of my other options, so I'll have a look and see what sort of deals are around. I'll check out Whirlpool also.

Thanks again for the advice!