Nokia confirms wide Mac support in 2009

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Nov 18, 2008.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors 6502a

superleccy

Very funny. A bit late now, don't you think?

If Nokia had supported Mac for the four years I owned a Mac and a Nokia, then maybe I wouldn't have switched to an iPhone. :D

Oh alright, I'd have switched to an iPhone anyway. :cool:

SL

3. macrumors 6502

Huh?

What the heck did that guy say? :confused:

BTW, nice avatar superleccy. They're the best.

4. macrumors 603

Stella

Well, its marketshare.

There wouldn't have been much point four years ago, with only 3% marketshare. Why would any company put all that effort in for such a tiny market? The investment wouldn't have been worthwhile.

However, now, its different, with Macs becoming more popular and its marketshare growing every quarter. Happy times!

Personally, I'm hoping for a OSX Nokia backup client.

5. macrumors 6502a

Starflyer

6. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

To be fair, they've never had their (generally less than impressive*) software suite for OS X, but in 2003, in Panther, almost 50% of the support list for iSync was Nokia, and all the products on the list with the most complete iSync support were Nokia. My Nokia was the second most-trouble free experience I had with a phone on OS X after my iPhone.

* Although one really great feature it did have even five years ago was the ability to sync a phone automatically when it moved into range and had not been recently synced.

7. macrumors 6502a

superleccy

Indeed. I was speaking from a selfish point of view.

Probably true, but probably largely because Nokia had (and still have) so many handset models. I had to wait until Tiger before I could get my Nokia-of-choice working with iSync at all, and it was only fairly recently (admittedly via a free iSync plugin from Nokia themselves) that I could do this without the aid of hacks or paid-for add-ons. Even then, the results were often less than perfect. Also, features that have been supported for years in Windows-land, such as firmware upgrades and backups, have never been available on OS X.

Of course, it doesn't matter now anyway. :)

:) Oh yes.