Nokia Files Brief to Support Apple's Request to Block Sale of Samsung Products

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 6, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    As noted by Reuters, Nokia this week filed a brief with the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit in support of Apple's bid to block the sale of certain Samsung products previously ruled to have infringed on Apple's patents.

The brief, which is currently sealed but explained in a summary (via AppleInsider) by Nokia attorney Keith Broyles, argues that Judge Lucy Koh was wrong when she ruled that Apple must establish a "causal nexus" between the patented feature and demand for a product before a permanent injunction request is granted.

The filing comes several months after Judge Koh had denied Apple's injunction request.

Nokia's brief wasn't filed specifically to support Apple, but because Nokia feels that Judge Koh's ruling "could cause wide-ranging damage to the United States patent protection landscape." Broyles goes on to argue that Nokia is advocating for patent rights to foster innovation.
    Back in 2009, Apple and Nokia were embroiled in a patent dispute but that ended in 2011 when the two settled and entered into a patent license agreement.

Nokia is the only company to file in support of Apple, and will have an opportunity for companies and advocacy groups to support its position when it files its own brief later this year.

Article Link: Nokia Files Brief to Support Apple's Request to Block Sale of Samsung Products

2. macrumors 6502

"HAY APPLE, can we be FRIENDS? PLEASEEEEEE????? :D" -Nokia

3. macrumors 6502

4. macrumors 65816

5. macrumors member

Yeah

Let's take CHEAP brand Samsung out of the market.

6. macrumors 65816

japanime

I'm glad I'm not a patent attorney. Trying to figure out all of these lawsuits gives me a headache. :p

7. macrumors 68040

haruhiko

But they also give you a... fortune.

8. macrumors 6502

I read the title a few times to make sure. This is really weird.

By the way, I think Nokia should rebrand. Everyone when he hears "Nokia" thinks of either a big old phone or a big old phone that is an indestructible weapon of mass destruction (which is for some reason an Internet meme even though old Nokia phones are pretty darn breakable).

Also, I was unsure about this patent dispute until the evidence of Samsung's diagrams showing how iPhone features could be implemented in their phones came up. Smoking gun. Totally guilty. I'm with Nokia and Apple on this one.

9. macrumors 6502a

szw-mapple fan

And a shorter lifespan.

10. macrumors 68030

MattInOz

No doubt they keep a "firewall" between different attorneys dealing with different companies. So the Apple Vs Samsung doesn't talk to the the Apple Vs Nokia lawyers, not even to have sushi, so they can talk to the Nokia vs Samsung Lawyer and Samsung vs Nokia respectively.

Then again would suck to be receptionist there.

11. macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

12. macrumors 6502a

ConCat

"drink and be merry--for tomorrow, we shall die" - Nokia

13. macrumors 6502a

Baklava

14. macrumors G5

What? No insinuation that Apple must be paying off Nokia to file? :rolleyes:

15. macrumors 68000

iGrip

If WE did that, it would prove just how important and powerful WE are! Yay for US! WE did it!

Hmmm...but so far, WE are totally and completely unsuccessful. WE ain't done a damn thing. WE are total and abject failures. WE suck.

16. macrumors regular

dweezle3

I can see the headlines now: "Apple Rumor Site Forum Congregates to Take Down Technology Mogul Samsung" :D In other news: "DOW Drops 400 Points as Technology Industry Collapses"...

17. macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

I think this shows a capacity for Nokia to care about the health of the industry rather than only their own company. If everyone is allowed to copy everyone else, no one bothers to innovate and everyone just makes cheap knock off products. Thus, though Nokia is Apple's competitor, they're willing to back Apple because Samsung is copying them. If Samsung were allowed to do so, innovation would grind to a halt. In the long run, Nokia could stand to benefit if they have their own innovations not yet revealed that they'd like to ensure their competitors don't make knock offs of.

Plus, having one company back another probably helps the judges realize that one side is in the wrong... - although that could lead to a corrupt form of government, if you simply say one side is right because it has the most companies backing it.

18. macrumors 6502a

Nokia's point would be that Apple has a judgement BY JURY TRIAL. That Samsung infringed.

How much more does the court need as evidence for stopping Samsung to sell infringing products? Apple went all the way thru the trial process and won, more or less fairly, but the COURT has not granted Apple ANY RELIEF from Samsung selling infringing products, Samsung hasnt paid a single dime of judgement, the court hasn't even made Samsung change or modify anything yet... What is the court WAITING FOR???

19. Amazing Iceman, Mar 7, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2013

macrumors 68030

Amazing Iceman

Exactly. What Nokia is afraid of, is that this Apple judgement by a District Judge could be use as precedent for new trials. If it ends this way, it could start a new batch of trials by other companies, claiming they should get the same treatment as Samsung. It would be a patent chaos.

Something is definitely not right in all this...

20. macrumors regular

craftytony

Haven't done a thing?

Samsung Loses High Court Battle Against Apple In U.K. As Judge Finds Patents Invalid
    http://www.cultofandroid.com/23620/samsung-loses-high-court-battle-against-apple-in-u-k-as-judge-finds-patents-invalid/

Apple Is Top U.S. Smartphone Maker To Start 2013 As Android Loses Marketshare To iOS
    http://thenextweb.com/insider/2013/03/06/comscore-apple-debuts-2013-as-top-us-smartphone-maker-samsung-gains-but-android-falls-for-the-first-time/

And this is just news from the past couple days :)

21. macrumors 68030

Amazing Iceman

It's very confusing when other reports show the opposite. It all depends on what are basing their calculations.
    Like with the HP TouchPad, all those units reported as sold were just sitting at Best Buy's shelves, and got later returned to HP.

Who is on top depends on several factors; it varies, specially before and after the launch of a new product. People either tend to buy or wait for the newer version if the product.

One thing for sure, Apple is here to stay for a very long time. I just hope they don't mess up.

22. macrumors 6502

somethingelsefl

When all this over...someone better use this patent legal drama as a script for soap opera. Just replace company names with people names...

23. macrumors G5

Look up the word sarcasm. The irony. Then re-read his post and yours. See the connection?

24. macrumors regular

Apple is not Samsung.

You are on the wrong website to support that sort of rubbish, mate.

25. macrumors regular

craftytony

How bout...I don't look it up. :)