Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
How could you possibly know there isn't going to be a similar situation with WP8? Do you think all the people who bought into WP7 thought MS was going to drop all software support for them in such a short amount of time? No, of course they didn't.

Each release promises to be better but the truth is, WP is still years behind and not only are they not catching up, they are falling further and further behind as the pace of iOS and Android development is increasing.

Then they didn't do their research.

Windows Phone 7 was on the same kernel as Windows Mobile. Then they moved to the Windows NT kernel. As for being years behind... how? Please tell me how the OS is years behind.

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2012
What are everyones thoughts or experiences with the Nokia Lumia 928 or similar windows phones? My wife just got one and i am seriously considering switching from iphone.

The tile interface is really slick, the camera is great, everything seems nice and intuitive. The one downside is that the app store is somewhat limited, but they seem to have the major apps I use. I have an upgrade anytime now so I am going to wait to see what Apple has in store for us in october and make a decision then.

Completely different from iPhone and android, little customization and not many decent apps.

I'd supports only if you're not a techie and don't plan to play with your phone alot. If your phone is more like a communication tool than. You ill probably consider it but for those that get bored easily don't buy it.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Windows Phone 8 has gotten an update already, getting another one in the next few months too. We got radio support in the Amber update, among some other stuff I think?

I think the whole "not supported" thing will happen less and less now.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
Then they didn't do their research.

Windows Phone 7 was on the same kernel as Windows Mobile. Then they moved to the Windows NT kernel. As for being years behind... how? Please tell me how the OS is years behind.

You are putting the onus on the consumers for not researching "kernels" versus putting it where it truly belongs which is Microsoft? Consumers should never have to worry about product life cycle support and Microsoft should have taken their time and developed Windows Phone with the right kernel in the first place versus rushing to the market. This ultimately hurt them in the end.

ichii

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2006
Bestbuy managed to mess up my order, I won't get my lumia 1020 this Friday :mad: they lost my order so how I have to get my credit card and gift card refunded which might take up to two week, then reorder which might take another two weeks. I won't have it for my NYC trip to test out and report back here with pictures :(

Super20

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2004
Council Bluffs, IA
I started out with an iPhone 5. Then sold it for a Galaxy Note 2. Then traded that for a Galaxy S3. Then traded it for an iPhone 4s. Then traded it for an Nokia 822. I get a lot of slack for going the windows route, but I really like this phone. I got tired of iOS and how boring it was. I got tired of my Android phones because I was always having issues with them locking up when switching between apps quickly and my S3 was REALLY hot when it was in my pocket. Had iOS 7 on my 4S and it was just like using an android. No one is original anymore....except for my Windows phone 8. I really, really like it. I'm not a big phone gamer, I get my google mail on the mail app, I get calendar notifications on my lock screen, I can listen to my podcasts and I have found all the apps I used on my android and iphone. It takes good pictures and I have a TARDIS case on it....AWESOME!

Vetvito

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2012
You are putting the onus on the consumers for not researching "kernels" versus putting it where it truly belongs which is Microsoft? Consumers should never have to worry about product life cycle support and Microsoft should have taken their time and developed Windows Phone with the right kernel in the first place versus rushing to the market. This ultimately hurt them in the end.

Man I remember arguing with people years ago about Window Phone 7 and how it was just a means to an end.

I've been dealing with Windows Mobile phones for over 10 years and each one of them were killed by Microsoft.

Windows Phone 7 launched dead. Microsoft knew it the whole time. Sadly most people didn't know it.

Windows Phone 7 launched with a OS with absolutely no future. It couldn't even support multiple core processors, and they were launching at a time when dual cores were just making its way to consumer hands. How asinine is that?

Then poor Nokia launched the Lumia 900 that was killed mere months later.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Windows Phone 7 launched with a OS with absolutely no future. It couldn't even support multiple core processors, and they were launching at a time when dual cores were just making its way to consumer hands. How asinine is that?

It didn't really matter though, did it? I mean WP is so optimized that the single-core CPU from 2010 is plenty capable. Heck, I'm not sure if the speed increases between my Samsung Focus (2010) and Lumia 820 (2012) are from the Snapdragon S4 processor or from having twice the RAM.

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010

Well, that sure didn't stop my wife from using her Lumia 710 up until yesterday, and the only reason she isn't still using it is that I got my hands on a spare Lumia 820 that I gave to her.

scott craft

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Louisiana
It didn't really matter though, did it? I mean WP is so optimized that the single-core CPU from 2010 is plenty capable. Heck, I'm not sure if the speed increases between my Samsung Focus (2010) and Lumia 820 (2012) are from the Snapdragon S4 processor or from having twice the RAM.

I agree that Windows Phone is very optimized, but I feel the way everything flips and spins makes the phone feel faster than it is. I know the HTC Trophy I had wasn't as fast as the Galaxy Nexus at opening apps. My 8X is pretty fast but I think the HTC One/ GS4 era phones are a bit faster.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012

You're right, that was an ignorant response.

Though, every Windows Phone that wasn't the Lumia 900 got a least 18 months of support. That's just about as long as you can expect.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
I agree that Windows Phone is very optimized, but I feel the way everything flips and spins makes the phone feel faster than it is. I know the HTC Trophy I had wasn't as fast as the Galaxy Nexus at opening apps. My 8X is pretty fast but I think the HTC One/ GS4 era phones are a bit faster.

That's part of the UI design, to make sure that the UI is always responsive. It increases the perception that the phone isn't slow. Apple does the same thing with their transitions, so that by the time the transition is done, the app is ready to go.

That's also why you see people complain about Android lag a lot. It's not that the phone is slow, but because of the way the OS is designed on a kernel level, they cannot make things fluidly spin and flip the instant you touch the screen. The perception is that a Samsung GS4 (2013, 2gb RAM) is slower than a Samsung Focus (2010, 512mb RAM).

scott craft

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Louisiana
That's part of the UI design, to make sure that the UI is always responsive. It increases the perception that the phone isn't slow. Apple does the same thing with their transitions, so that by the time the transition is done, the app is ready to go.

That's also why you see people complain about Android lag a lot. It's not that the phone is slow, but because of the way the OS is designed on a kernel level, they cannot make things fluidly spin and flip the instant you touch the screen. The perception is that a Samsung GS4 (2013, 2gb RAM) is slower than a Samsung Focus (2010, 512mb RAM).

I really like the way WP does the transitions, looks very nice to me.

KaijuRed

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2013
Bestbuy managed to mess up my order, I won't get my lumia 1020 this Friday :mad: they lost my order so how I have to get my credit card and gift card refunded which might take up to two week, then reorder which might take another two weeks. I won't have it for my NYC trip to test out and report back here with pictures :(

BestBuy is terrible! Any reason why you didn't buy it directly from the Microsoft Store (Online or Retail) ?

ichii

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2006
BestBuy is terrible! Any reason why you didn't buy it directly from the Microsoft Store (Online or Retail) ?

I had about 229.00 in gift card(Store Credit) plus I wanted to take advantage of their 18 month no interest. I'm trying to buy the phone without contact, I am eligible for an upgrade but I want to use it when the next iPhone comes out. I called again I was told 2-3 days for my gift card to be refunded it's 4 days and it is still showing as $0.00 balance. The Customer Service associate say he will escalate it and to check back next Friday. I don't know why I keep coming back to Best Buy :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.