Nokia Lumia 928

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by JaySoul, May 10, 2013.

1. macrumors 65816

JaySoul

2. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Hmmm

The article says, "Before jumping on board with the 928, though, we'd caution that it comes over six months after the 920, and shares the same guts."

I read that as the 928 has the same insides as the 920 but the body is thinner. No?

3. macrumors 68040

AutoUnion39

I wish Nokia would get off their high horse and offer Android on their devices. :(

4. macrumors 6502a

It appears to be a little thinner. But it has curved edges like the HTC 8x to give a thinner feel.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/120958-nokia-lumia-928-vs-920-what-s-different

5. macrumors 65816

They can't.

Under contract to Microsoft to only do windows phones until 2016

6. macrumors 68040

I really like the 920, and if I didn't have all Apple stuff I would go to it in a heart beat. I actually came so close trading in my iPhone 5 for one.

7. macrumors 6502a

Assault

So Nokia and Blackberry are still making phones using early 2012 hardware. Awesome.

8. macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Windows Phone is a much better OS than Android. I'm using a WP device from 2010 and it works better than a lot of the low end android phones that are out there today. The 928 is late 2012 hardware, but it's good enough for WP OS, and also the battery life is outrageous, so there's some internal changes too.

9. macrumors 65816

Let's not get ahead of ourselves!

10. macrumors 603

Michael Goff

Yeah, then they could sink faster when they get sued by Apple and Microsoft for patents.

BRILLIANT!

11. macrumors 6502a

Assault

I wouldn't say Metro aka WP OS is better, and I don't dislike it (I would get a Nokia WP before an iPhone), but the sheer lack of 3rd party support for the OS is what kills the entire platform, regardless of the hardware manufacturer. If WP OS was more customizable, or could be "rooted" and "ROM'ed"and there were active developers, WP could be a huge hit. Keeping it locked down has not helped Microsoft, Samsung or Nokia sell their mobile devices.

And Nokia using old, leftover hardware, isn't going to impress anyone. If anything people will question why they only have a dual core processor when everyone else is using quad or Octo core, or why it only has an 8 megapixel camera when everyone else has 12 or 13 megapixel? What does Nokia offer above or better than a Flagship Android phone. Answer: nothing.

12. macrumors 603

Michael Goff

Really?

You're judging the quality of a phone camera by megapixel? Are you really that ignorant?

13. tbayrgs, May 11, 2013
    Last edited: May 11, 2013

macrumors 601

tbayrgs

If it gets the job done, who cares how many cores it has? The flagship Android devices are the ones with bleeding edge tech yet they still seems to have the most issues with lag--far more reported than either the iPhone or top end Windows phones. The new S4 has arguably the best CPUs in a mobile device right now but i'm seeing threads/comment across multiple forums discussing issues with lag. And Michael Goff is right--if you believe it's only about the megapixels you clearly don't know what you're talking about.

I'll agree with you on this point though and it's generally the consensus reason I see people choosing something other than WP (or Blackberry for that matter). It doesn't need to be able to be rooted or have custom ROMs--just look at the iPhone but it'll never get off the ground without support from developers. Also wouldn't hurt for Google to support their own apps on the platform.

14. macrumors 6502a

Assault

Not what I was saying. I'm referring to the average Joe asking a salesperson why the Nokia has less this or that compared to phone xyz. People will look at the displays and see Nokia only has 8 megapixel camera, while HTC or Samsung or apple have 13 megapixel cameras. And more pixels = more better in most peoples minds (and it is true to an extent).

I could give a crap about the camera. I don't use it very often. All I need is a camera that takes good shots and is adjustable. However I do want the low power multicore SoC and a min of 2gb ram, plus removable battery and expandable storage. If it doesn't have this, I don't buy.

15. macrumors 65816

Switchback666

The only problem with Windows phone OS is that it might confusing for the average joe, by that i mean the menu flow is waaay different than previous mobile os.

I honestly think its a damm good OS, fluid and smooth and everything follows the ui design, hardware wise it just dont demand the same resources, battery life is fantastic too and the "power saving" on nokia really did its saving.

Hope they continue and dont try to become another android manufacture.

16. macrumors 603

Michael Goff

Then what you're suggesting isn't a problem with the hardware, but a problem with marketing. If there is somebody that can market the strengths of a lower megapixel camera (like, maybe, saying their phone has some of the best capabilities for low light shots), then people will buy it.

17. Moderator emeritus

Hellhammer

Samsung is the only one with a 13 megapixel camera. iPhone 5 has a 8MP camera and HTC's One actually has 4MP (but 2 micron pixels). Maybe you should check your facts before claiming that everyone has a 12-13MP camera, while in the reality only Samsung does and Nokia's camera is one of the best even when measured in MPs.

If the sales rep knows (and deserves) his job, then he can also explain that the megapixels don't tell the whole truth. Obviously, taking test photos in the store is what the customer should do because that's the only way he can really compare the cameras in real world.

18. macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

By that logic, Apple shouldn't be selling any iPhones because they only have a dual core CPU.

19. AppliedMicro, May 11, 2013
    Last edited: May 11, 2013

macrumors 6502a

iOS isn't customizable, and (its current version) cannot be rooted.
    So what is it, if not a huge hit?

Rootability and customization is primarily an entertainment for geeks frequenting internet tech forums - yet hugely overrated for the masses. The vast majority of people can or choose to live without great customising their devices. If you don't consider "getting Apps" as customization, that is (though Apps somehow are way of customising a phone).

That being said, there's still some lack in app availability on WP8, yes. But the OS is fine.
    Microsoft chose a similar route as Apple with Mac OS X: offer less customization while going for a more consistent and elegant interface and operation.

So which "everyones" exactly use octo-core processors?
    Or quad-cores, for that matter?

Apple doesn't. Their A6 used in the iPhone 5 (their current flagship phone) is stinkin' vintage dual-core (!) CPU. WP8 runs very well on high-end Nokias, as does iOS on iPhone 5.

Again, that being said, yes, both offerings won't impress people drooling over sheer numbers - but hey, let these people be victims of marketing.

20. macrumors 6502a

Assault

Holy jesus... I was just using examples people, not literal facts. Unless you also want to believe there is a phone out there called "xyz" too? You people need to lighten up.

How's this: if phone A has 8mp camera/dual core cpu, while phone B and C have 13mp camera's/4 or 8 cores, then average Joe will immediately think phone A is lacking. Generic enough for you guys to comprehend?

21. macrumors 6502a

This part I have to agree. Average Joe thinks higher is better.

I'm going to assume though Assault that you have used or seen a Windows Phone 8 device to see that on dated hardware, the OS performs incredibly well. And that the Lumia's 8.7mp camera is one of the best in market due to OIS.

In the end, the Lumia 928 is what the 920 should of been and with the arrival of the s4, HTC One and soon to be unvield iPhone 5s/, it's late to the party.

22. macrumors 68010

Looking at tons of people using galaxies around in toronto, no I don't think "ROMs" will make wp a hit. As much as geeks love to daydream, the heavy majority of users doesn't even bother to change the basic layout given to them by Samsung, let alone modding.

So no.

23. 3bs
    macrumors 603

3bs

I don't like it but I completely agree.

24. macrumors 6502

Prototypical

I wish Android fans would get off their high horse and realize that not everyone wants/likes Android on their devices.

25. Hellhammer, May 12, 2013
    Last edited: May 12, 2013

Moderator emeritus

Hellhammer

Offering Android wouldn't mean that Nokia would abandon Windows Phone. E.g. Samsung and HTC both have WP8 and Android phones. The fact is that not everyone likes WP8 (or Android or iOS...) but they might prefer Nokia when it comes to hardware. The WP ecosystem cannot compete with Android or iOS at the moment because developers are not as interested in it compared to others (no official Instagram app for instance). Hopefully that will change over time but right now WP8 isn't as mature as Android or iOS.