Nokia N-Gage Mac Compatibility

Discussion in 'Community' started by quickshot757, Sep 3, 2003.

1. quickshot757 macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if the N-gage is mac compatible? Because if it is then it could be a possible alternitive to a palm or an iPod. It does the same thing as the Zire 71 minus the camera. Plus it just plain looks cooler. If anyone knows if it is than that would be helpful.

2. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

Re: Nokia N-Gage Mac Compatibility

Boy, then I definitely don't share your taste. I think the thing looks no less than butt-ugly. It looks like a Gameboy Advance, but with a smaller screen and, well, uglier.

(Not to be harsh or to attack you personally, but I just have a different taste concerning this certain device.)

Don't know about Mac-compatibility, though, since I would never buy a Nokia.

3. quickshot757 thread starter macrumors newbie

What i meant is that it has more teen apeal. If your in high school the only kids that have palm pilots are usually the class nerds. Now this thing on the other hand is different, because most HS kids have cell phones and mp3 players.

4. ghulseman macrumors newbie

No, not really Mac-comaptible

The N-Gage is not really Mac-compatible. The CD that comes with the unit includes the "Nokia PC Suite" which is PC only.

That said, if you put a MMC card in the N-Gage and then hook it up to your Mac via the included USB, you will have access to the MMC card. You can drag-n-drop MP3s, and they will play fine. That's about it. There doesn't seem to be a way to access the N-Gage's internal memory, so I can't install the Space Impact game that comes on the CD, I can't copy JPEGs over to the N-Gage, nor Real Player files. Just copying any of these files to the MMC card apparently is not the same as if you do it via the "Nokia PC Suite" software.

I don't know if a Bluetooth connection will change anything. My computer doesn't have Bluetooth, but I have ordered one, and I'll post my results here, if anyone is interested.

Ironically, the N-Gage web site doesn't mention Mac anywhere, except the wallpapers section include instructions on how to download one from Mac OS X. How lame is that?

5. ghulseman macrumors newbie

Well, yes, maybe it is Mac compatible

This is a followup to my previous posting. I have bought a Bluetooth <what exactly do you call these things, a widget?> It's plug-n-play. Very cool. With Bluetooth, I can now send files to myself, including the aforementioned Space Impact game that comes bundled on the CD. I can also send Jpegs, MP3s, JAVA apps, and presumably RealOne clips, since the N-Gage has a RealOne Player. What I can't do is synchronize my Address Book. Apple's ISync application cannot find the N-gage when it is in Bluetooth range, and I'm guessing Apple will need to update ISync to make this happen. The most recent iteration of ISync made it possible to sync with other Nokia models, and hopefully that will happen again to accomodate the N-Gage.

All in all, my views of the N-Gage are more positive now. I don't think I will ever use it as a phone. It's too big and weirdly shaped for that, but I am using the 30-day trial time given to me by T-Mobile, and the jury is still out.

6. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

7. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I find it to be pretty stupid, the thing is too awkward to be used as a phone, too big to be a good mp3 player, and seems a bit awkward as a game system with a much smaller library of games for a higher price than a Gameboy. So what does it actually have going for it that makes it worth the money besides being new?

8. ghulseman macrumors newbie

N-Gage getting a bad rap, not entirely justified

The N-Gage can be used as a speakerphone, and it's a bit less ridiculous when used that way. I talked on it several times in the car yesterday, and I found I preferred it to using my primary cell phone. I can just leave it in the cup holder and carry on a conversation.

I'm also really intrigued with the idea of using bluetooth headphones with it. I use my cell phone almost exclusively in my car. I already use headphones, and they're a pain, the wire is always getting tangled up. Maybe I will end up using the N-gage as my phone of choice, who knows?

In the coming months we will be seeing more video game releases for the N-Gage, but I am intrigued with a great many Java-based games out there already that will work on the N-Gage. We're talking a lot of Solitaire, Backgammon board-type games, which I think is a better idea than trying to port 3-D games like Tomb Raider.

By the way, the N-Gage is too pricey for most people. But I bought mine at Electronic's Boutique, and if you buy two games, you get a $99 rebate credit with which you can buy even more junk from Electronic's Boutique. That's essentially 3 free games.

But Buyer beware. if you buy anything from EB, you're stuck with it. They don't accept any returns on unopened items unless there's something wrong with it.