nokia n93 - camera, camcorder, ipod, phone

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by trevorpark, Sep 24, 2006.

1. trevorpark macrumors newbie

Does anybody have this phone I am wondering if I should shell out the $500 to get it. If I do decide to get it it will replace my ipod and since I dont have a camera, camcorder or phone yet It cant replace them, but it will stop me from buying any of them. I do some light editing in photoshop and maybe in a year or so a little final cut express. So will this phone be good enough for this.

PS: I really hate to have more than one device and this phone might save me from bying a nintendo DS to if you know of any other phones like this then please post them also what type of videos can the sony ericsson K800i take.

Thanks,
    Trevor

2. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

Camera, camcorder, ipod, phone, brick.

It is very large.

3. trevorpark thread starter macrumors newbie

smaller than my ipod, camera, camorder and phone combined

4. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

Without hundreds of high resolution pictures and movies, accompanied by music and text messages, I have no way to know if you are telling the truth!

5. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Sure, but what kind of usability will you actually get? How long will the battery last? I know that my phone and camcorder have much shorter battery life than my iPod and camera. These jack-of-all-trades kind of devices tend to do nothing well. I can carry my camera, ipod, and phone with me all the time (in a small bag), and my camcorder on trips. In a pinch my camera takes mp4 movies as well. I'd say that this is a much better solution.

Also, think about multi-tasking. What if you're listening to your iPod while taking pictures, how are you going to do this with your all-in-one solution?

6. bloodycape macrumors 65816

Some devices like the Archos 402CC alow you to listen to music while taking pictures, and video(I think). So it could be possible. However, have you looked at the Sony 950 series? It comes with 4gig of flash space, ms duo slot, a solid camera, and is running symbian os which also what the N93 is running. It maybe a better buy over the N93 and it is smaller.

7. trevorpark thread starter macrumors newbie

I looked at the w950i bu it has no camera and I just saw a size comparison between the n93 and a k800i and ther is no way I am getting a n93. I am looking more to the k800i but I dont know know if 1gb of memory is good enough. I also really like the w850i but I dont know if the camera will be good enough. Is 2 megapixel really that different from 3 megapixels?

Thanks,
    Trevor

8. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

I bought an N93 (in Aluminium grey) practically as soon as it was available because I too thought it would be a great convergence handset. Unfortunately I sent it back around a week later having never taken it outside the house.

Several reasons why:
    • it was ridiculously big (the keypad alone was thicker, deeper and wider than my entire W800i);
    • still image capture was decidedly poor for a 3.2MP camera;
    • very uncomfortable to hold and use to talk;
    • button interface was awkward to use in the phone's various screen modes;
    • nothing to obviously tie the lens cap too (even though it came with a tie cord) so you would inevitably lose it.

However, the worst thing was without doubt the build quality. I paid over £400 outright for it and it felt like it was made out of recycled plastic bags. A phone this heavy needs to feel solid. This one had panel gaps all round the screen and lots of play in the screen arm. It creaked and squeaked and basically felt like it was going to break if you swore at it.

Good points were its call clarity and the video recorder was actually very good, but overall, I was hugely unimpressed. At first I thought about buying another one just to see if it was a problem with that phone but I was in a phone shop on Sunday and one of the sales guys said they were all like that and he agreed it was pretty poor considering it was Nokia's "flagship" phone.

I really could not recommend you getting one.

I've also written more about it as one of the first posts on my blog.

9. bloodycape macrumors 65816

A new N95 is circulating the net news sites. You may want to wait for that one.

10. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

Indeed it is.

Beast of a phone, although for $700 I don't think I'll be the one posting a review...

11. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    The N95 looks fabulous but I'm not waiting 6 months. I'm going to pick up an N73 when I get round to popping into O2 shop... and then hopefully when i come to upgrade next year, the N95 will have lovely new firmware and be free on upgrade ;)

12. trevorpark thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there a way to make the k800i menus and everything look like a w850is menus

13. trevorpark thread starter macrumors newbie

14. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I doubt it... but I'd suggest looking at a phone forum where they play with the firmware rather than here

Try esato.com

15. bloodycape macrumors 65816

N75 looks like another good choice with cnet claiming it has 40gigs of space.

16. Steve Jobless macrumors 6502

I already have a N70, should I get an E61 to hold me over until the N95 drops?

I rarely use my camera.

17. bloodycape macrumors 65816

Yeah the e61 is good but they are planning to bring a music edition update to it. You could always forgo some features and go for the E62.

18. Steve Jobless macrumors 6502

e62, no wifi, no go.

very useful in situations where i dont have a wireless signal