Nokia phones and USB...

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by MarkW19, Feb 27, 2003.

1. MarkW19 macrumors 65816

I'm just about to upgrade from a Sony Ericsson T68i which I'm using with Bluetooth on my PowerMac G4, to a new Nokia that only has a USB connection available.

I was wondering if there was any way I can transfer pictures back and forth to the phone by USB with my mac, as the software that comes with it is PC only (short of using Virtual PC I mean).

Any help would be much appreciated!

-Mark

2. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

All I can really say is stay away from the Nokia, unless you truly have no choice. Their software (phone itself) is good, but the hardware tends to be unreliable, in my personal experience. No, I don't mis-treat my stuff... ;)

3. MarkW19 thread starter macrumors 65816

I just hate the software on the T68i - way too slow, buggy (turns on/off for no apparent reason and hangs, same with some of my friends'), and all the Nokia's I've had (and all my friends') have been great.

Just wish it had bluetooth though :)

No solution for getting data from a Nokia mobile through USB into X then?

4. conceptdev macrumors regular

If you are looking for a nokia that can give you the same functionality as the t68i your best or only bet is the Nokia 6310i - it has triband, bluetooth & GPRS.

Though as a t68i user myself who has experienced none of those issues I would just recommend you turn it in for replacement or repair. I have noticed though that most users with t68i issues are located in the states, maybe a bad batch was shipped over?

5. MarkW19 thread starter macrumors 65816

6. conceptdev macrumors regular

I have seen and tried the clicker which is great but the rest of the software I didn't know about - thanks for pointing it out because I am really an entourage/office user despite otherwise being mac faithful.

If you use for phone as a GPRS modem or other things and travel extensively for business I would heavily advis you to stick with T68i, you won't beat it on compatability. I will stop being a broken record now.

The 6310i has the equivalent features and is in the same price range, if they don't sell it in the States order it from Europe it will work worldwide.