Nokia Refocusing on HERE Maps Integration for iOS and Android

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 5, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

A pair of LinkedIn job listings spotted by Nokia Power User is being interpreted as a sign that Nokia's HERE mapping and location services may be returning to iOS, but Nokia's Pino Bonetti points out that the company is simply focused on delivering SDK tools to allow third-party developers to incorporate HERE maps into their apps.
    With Microsoft having closed its purchase of Nokia's devices unit late last month, a scaled-down Nokia will need to focus on other areas where it holds a leadership advantage, and HERE is one way Nokia can leverage its NAVTEQ mapping expertise.

As for a standalone HERE app for iOS, it does not appear that Nokia has any public plans to return to the platform. Nokia's HERE Maps app was previously available to iOS owners, but the app was pulled by Nokia last December due to compatibility problems with iOS 7. The company put the blame for the removal on Apple, claiming that changes in iOS 7 "harm the user experience."

[​IMG]
    Nokia's previous version of HERE Maps for iOS​
    The job listings seek experienced developers to work on the company's mobile engineering team as they assist in the building of "advanced location-based services applications for the Android and iOS platforms."
    Formerly known as Nokia Maps and Ovi Maps, the HERE service uses the Nokia-owned NAVTEQ mapping database to provide navigation services, transit maps and points-of-interest information. Nokia HERE is one of three business units remaining after Microsoft acquired Nokia's mobile devices and services business.

HERE is attempting to gain traction in a crowded iOS marketplace dominated by rival Google Maps, iOS Maps and other third-party apps from Navigon and TomTom. After a rocky start in iOS 6 and some improvements and visual changes in iOS 7, Apple is rumored to be bolstering its Maps application in iOS 8 with new transit information, expanded points of interest, and improved cartography.

Article Link: Nokia Refocusing on HERE Maps Integration for iOS and Android

2. macrumors regular

Lapidus

Totally forgot about that. Guess I'm not the only one...

3. macrumors member

NSeven

please stay away and just die... Microsoft has already too much involvement with Apple....

4. macrumors 68000

MartinAppleGuy

For everybody wants to use this!

5. macrumors 601

Traverse

Say what you want about Apple maps, but it was a life saver last week. We had terrible weather last week to the point that they had to shut down some roads and I saw a Toyota Corrola submerged in water. I had to take detours through downtown where I've never been and had to depend on Apple Maps because I couldn't get Google Maps downloaded. Apple Maps never missed a beat and finally got me home.

It was a terrible day....

6. macrumors 6502

Maybe it was apple maps sending him down there :rolleyes:

7. macrumors newbie

8. macrumors 6502

More competition is a A Good Thing™

9. macrumors 6502a

iMacDragon

This isn't Microsoft, this is actual Nokia Nokia, the bit not sold to MS.

Though, their first attempt at an iOS app was appallingly bad, and not retina optimised either.

10. macrumors 6502

kwokaaron

Unless there is something seriously wrong with google maps OR apple maps, I don't think I'll be downloading another map app on my phone.

11. macrumors 65816

irnchriz

The Nokia maps app is abysmal, it looks like something from the old windows mobile era.

12. macrumors 65816

It was a life saver for you that you didn't just blindly plunge into the water a la The Office or it was a life saver in that you helped the person trapped in the submerged vehicle?

13. macrumors 601

Traverse

It was a lifesaver because it got me home through unknown territory without messing up. The person had already abandoned their vehicle.

14. macrumors 6502

Good thing your experience didn't include taking public transportation, because Apple Maps wouldn't even have shown you where the train stations are.

15. macrumors 601

Traverse

True. But there were emergency vehicles along the road if I needed a ride. :eek:

16. macrumors regular

There's a news site devoted to Nokia? They'll either have very little to talk about or they'll have to change their name.