Nokia's New.... iPhone?

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 29, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

2. macrumors member

stupid nokia

3. macrumors Core

Dagless

That is poor.

'What Nokia always has and always delivers' or something. What? They've always copied Apple?

4. macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

well if it works close to the iphone and nokia lets it be on any network then it might not be so bad...

5. macrumors 6502a

grafikat

It's the entire software interface that makes the iPhone, well, an iPhone,

6. macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

I love Nokia! But this is a little too similar:(

7. macrumors 604

zap2

8. macrumors Core

Dagless

Also, isn't it a bit early for iPhone clones?

9. macrumors 6502

I didn't want to say anything about this... but that couldn't be avoided. What b*ll sh*t. Can't they think of anything original anymore? Obviously not. :rolleyes:

10. macrumors 65816

This shows how amazingly scared phone manufacturers are. I think Motorola share holders should be the most angry about the iPhone... remember Apple originally tried to convince them to go in with them on it.

11. macrumors 6502a

It's a blatant ripoff!

I used to have some respect for Nokia. Not anymore! :mad:

12. macrumors 603

Stella

I see the Apple fan bois and apologists are out in force.

Every company copies from any one else...

..well, except Apple..

On the iPhone you can't even have your own custom ring tones.

Unbelievably:
    you pay FULL PRICE for your iPhone and Apple STILL dictates what cell network you USE!!!!

How Retarded is that?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. macrumors Core

Dagless

Course Apple copies. But this is just taking it really too far. It is an iPhone clone. It doesn't just borrow features or take inspiration from it, it's like looking in a filthy mirror.

14. macrumors newbie

iSmell desperation....Apple flavored.

15. macrumors 6502a

Canuck4

Wow, can you say exact copy :D

16. macrumors 603

Stella

Get real Fan Boi. Nokia have nothing to be scared about.

In Q2 2007 ... Nokia sold 34 MILLION Symbian based phones.. thats not including any other Nokia phones, i.e., 'basic' Series40 phones ( that have more functionality than iPhone, and cheaper ).

And your saying Nokia are runinng scared.

ROTFL.

HELLO. EARTH CALLING BHOUSE.

you and other people need to get things into perspective: Apple are not going to over take / threaten Nokia any year soon.

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/news/item/5812_346_million_Symbian_OS_handset.php

17. macrumors newbie

The Fan Boys must have never used an S60 device...
    I am excited.. wanna know why? This phone will run the BLACKBERRY software!

I love the Iphone but the email part SUCKS.. Say what you want about Nokia but this phone WILL SELL VERY well.

18. macrumors member

deasine

I dun think it's nokia... it doesn't really have the "nokia" look to it...

19. macrumors newbie

smarquet

Copy write?

Copy write infringement anyone?

20. macrumors 68020

Darkroom

oh this reminds me of the late 90s when that "eMachine" (blatant iMac clone) surfaced...

i smell a lawsuit...

21. macrumors 6502

donlphi

Has nothing to do with taking over. It's about originality. You Nokia Fan Boi's keep saying "NOKIA HAS BEEN MAKING PHONES FOR YEARS" but the I can't stop thinking, "Why didn't they come out with something better than the iPhone first?"

I'll tell you why. They aren't about innovation. They are about selling unoriginal garbage (plastic junk) for outrageous prices with the same two year contracts that every other phone gets stuck with.

I know a guy that has a POCKET PC that has hundreds of functions on it. I would even say more functions that the iPhone. I asked him to show me some of them one day. Most of the software on it was "trial" software including the web browser, so he couldn't really show me anything cool with the web browsers. The camera was terrible. It took low quality video (I know iPhone has no video, but Apple wouldn't put something that bad on a phone... it's worthless and the sound is terrible). It did have slingbox, but that had nothing to do with the phone itself, that was all Slingmedia's doing. It had word, but when I turned it on, it was the first time it was activated.

I'm not saying everybody is clueless when it comes to using their PDA (this guy was), but I would say most people don't use all of the features. It's like a single man buying a mini-van with a DVD player in the back seat. When are you going to use that thing?

22. macrumors newbie

I never said anything about Apple taking over, nor do I want that. I believe in competition. It only makes products better for the consumer. It's a privilege to have a device most can only desire. How many people have $600 to spend on a cellphone? Not many. You can't deny the fact Nokia has absolutely no originality.

23. macrumors member

fcpguy

Oh please Stella...anyone who watches this and doesn't think this isn't a blatant rip off of the iPhone clearly either has their head up their a$$ or has an agenda. Nokia and all hand set manufactures are definitely worried about the iPhone, otherwise they wouldn't be trying to copy it. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...that being said, common sense would dictate that on some level they are either worried or impressed. You can call people "fan bois" all you want, but nokia is smart enough to know that the iPhone interface is the future of smart phones and since they don't have their own Jonathan Ives to make something better and different they will just follow suit....the real question becomes, how well will the imitator interface with ones computer...my guess is that's where the ball will be dropped!

24. macrumors newbie

The fact of the matter is, IF Apple never released the iPhone on June 29, 2007, consumers around the world probably would have to wait another 5 years for a product that REMOTELY rivals the current iPhone. Companies like Nokia, LG, Sony Ericson, were way too comfortable with selling the same garbage phones to consumers because they could get away with it. It was easy money for them and required minimal financial investment in technology. Now, with the invention of the iPhone, it has changed the cellphone landscape. It has set a considerable standard for these companies to live up to. Once again, I'm no Apple fan boy; however, I admire a company like Apple for their visions of expediting the product pipeline. Hey, if it wasn't for them, we wouldn't be commenting on a post like this for another 5 years...

25. macrumors 603

shadowfax

Good lord, stop calling people fan bois. It's so much worse than even fan boy--for you. Adds so much irony to the comment about "retarded"-ness.

It's like steve Jobs said, quoting another: "good artists copy, great artists steal." That's why Nokia will be so crappy if they pull this. It's not stealing, it's all-out copying. It's taking a Hyundai crapper, putting all Mercedes body parts on it, and then putting the Hyundai logo on it. It's a far cry from buying the mouse from someone who thinks it's a stupid idea, a far cry from adding "fast user switching" to your OS after Windows did (and crediting them with it, I might add)... a far cry.

Every company steals ideas. Silicon Valley is literally founded on it. Great companies steal the right ideas--and then they add more to it, they make them even better, and come up with their own. I haven't seen much of this phone's interface, but I will make a guess--Nokia's copied the iPhone, and made it crappy with a dumbed down interface.