Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
The camera phone hardly put an end to the digital camera market, just because Nokia shipped 100 million cameras doesn't mean anyone really cares. I am far from convinced that any of these markets will take a fatal blow from Nokia in the foreseeable future.

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
the day Nokia can get a D50 or D70 into there phones is the day hell will freeze over - this is why the camera market will always be there.

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
I think Nokia are right that people will use their phones for more and more in the future and the digital camera is the first casualty. Right now anything more than 5MP is of little benefit to consumers and phone will have that very soon as standard. The only reason I can see to having a camera as well as a phone is optical zoom.

I think future devices will be more like todays cameras with added phone functions. Taking photos, shooting video and making calls is what will sell. Viewing video or TV has much more limited appeal due to the practical size limits of the screens on pocketable devices.

Music will be down to where that music comes from. Unless Apple can roll-out iTunes for more handsets they will, IMO, lose the market to other more flexible sources and with that will go the iPod in it's present form.

IMO

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
How about try and make a decent phone before cramming all this **** into them. My camera works, my music player works, cell phones are piles of crap. Just because they shipped 100M doesn't mean they're being used. A phone should not be your main device ... it is a tool like all these digital devices.

I don't trust Nokia to know what i want in a phone ... let alone a camera.

Commnication is more than a two-way radio. Why are cameras, music players, and video games added before functionality and video conferencing? Where's a phone with decent battery life? Where's a phone that has a usage life of more than a year?

I do not want my phone to entertain me. I refuse to buy into the cell phone cunsumption cycle. There's a whole world out there and im not going to view life from my phone.

People who talk on the phone too much live in the wrong place. The cell industry should not be this big; don't let the gorillaz take our technology and profit off it.

But what do i know.

peace | neut

jimN

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2005
London
what they fail to appreciate is that people want a phone that is on all day and night and if you are taking photos and especially if using a flash the battery life will take one hell of a beating. Add to that the problems with lens quality i've yet to see a camera phone photo that i'd actually print out.

Nokia should stick to making phones and get less caught up in taking over the world.

mannix87

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2005
in the southeast
i've been a nokia user for more than 10 yrs, from their earliest GSM phone Nokia 2010 (which looked like a brick)to their current Nokia 9500 (w/c still looks like a brick), while I do marvel at what it can do: wi-fi, blackberry, tri-band, mp3/aac player, 1 hr video recording and playback, 1 mega-pixel camera. I still use it primarily as a communication device. If i wanted to listen to music, I'd use the iPod; if I wanted to shoot pics, i'd use my digital camera; if i wanted to shoot video, i'd use a videocam; so on & so forth. while the multiple functionality is nifty, the output still leaves much to be desired. For apple and the other manufacturers, Nokia's threat is out there. so i guess they just have to face the challenge and come up with better and interesting products.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.