NOLF II and Elite Force II hardware requirements

Discussion in 'Games' started by CmdrLaForge, Sep 20, 2003.

1. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Hi,

does anyone know if NOLF II and Elite Force II would run on a iBook 900MHz ? Because when I look at the mac game database http://www.gamedb.com it says you need a G4.

Would be really disappointed - because then I have to get the PC version to run them on my "old" PC.

I really loved the first versions of both games and I would like the get the sequels.

Or maybe I get and XBox. Or PSX.

If they don't run what are the best 1.st person shooter that would run on a iBook 900MHz.

Thanks for your help
    Cheers
    CmdrLaForge

2. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

Having played both games, I can honestly say that you would not get a very good experience running either of those games on a 900mhz computer with a Radeon 7500. Most likely they will run, but not very well at all.

3. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

well i would image you could, but chances are you couldnt. i played the game on high end pc and the graphics were nothing to get excited about, gameplay was pretty crappy too. elite force is more up there, but still wasnt that fun. honestly i dont think a g3 is good for anything anymore besides browsing the web and stuff. a g4 can hardly handle games now. its all g5 from here on out.

iJon

4. Doraemon macrumors 6502

Elite Force II should run fine.
    At least Elite Force 1 runs nicely on an iBook 500 (with medium or low details, of course). And since you have an iBook 900 and Elite Force II's requirements are just a little higher compared to Elite Force 1, I think you should be able to enjoy it on your iBook.

As for NOLF 2, I don't know.

[Edit] Quake 3 Arena runs smoothly on an iBook and has lots of action.

5. lewdvig macrumors 65816

Having played EF2 on the PC I think you will have to set everything to the lowest setting. There is a lot of AI in that game.

NOLF2 will likely be the same thing.

Hopefully they release a demo of each so you can try before buying.

Everyone has a different opinion of smooth and fast.

6. CmdrLaForge thread starter macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Hi,

that does not sound very good. Are there any good shooters for an iBook 900MHz ?

I already played Deus Ex and I think it is one of the best games I ever played. I like the shooters that have a good story and are more like an adventure game with a lot of action.

Any opinion ?

Cheers

7. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

well of course deus ex will play well. i used to play that game very well on my 500mhz g3 with 8mb or vram. im not really sure, but i would possibly try the medal of honor series, they may play pretty good on there. those are theo nly shoot em up games i know right now that will possibly play. americas army just came out not to long ago but it plays like trash on my 12" powerbook. another fun game is the original unreal tourney, i dont think your computer could handle 2003.

iJon

8. mattmack macrumors 6502a

mattmack

Try Undying By EA ported by Aspyr. It ia a good (weird) storyline with plenty of action. I've only just started it. I saw it in the Apple store for 14.95 and couldn't pass it up. You can get it for 9.95 on aspyr's site. It also got great reviews
    PS it is based in UT so it should play well on the ibook. I have a dual 450 G4 with an ATI 8500 video card

9. Mercury macrumors regular

With an iBook, if you're looking to play FPS, you probably need to look for older games, ones like you've already played-NOLF 1 and EF 1. Quake III is always good, Return to Castle Wolfenstein might play pretty decently-and is an excellent game. Try downloading the demo for UT2k3 and see if it runs at all well on your iBook, and if so, there's another A-list title.

Edit: Also, I know it's not an FPS...but if you haven't already, Escape Velocity: Nova is a great laptop shareware game.

10. lewdvig macrumors 65816

Try America's Army. It uses the same engine as Unreal Tournament 2003. You will have to lower detail settings, but it is a great game.

Also try Ghost Recon or any Rainbow Six title.

11. BenWakin macrumors member

Do not try America's Army. It runs sluggishly slow. It's unbearable. Ghost Recon, R6 titles, MOH:AA, Q3, and some other ones are out there, I'm sure.

12. lewdvig macrumors 65816

As a measure of future titles performance I think AA 1.9 is a good tool. Yes, you have to lower setting quite a bit to get a good smooth experience, but don't think that EF2 or NOLF2 will be any faster. EF2 is especially CPU bound with all the AI in it.

Also, Raven Shield and Splinter Cell use the same engine as AA 1.9. So it offers a glimpse into the future of those titles too.

13. CmdrLaForge thread starter macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Hi,

thanks for the replys. There are quite some different opinions if EF II runs fine or not.

Has anyone tried it on a iBook ? Because the requierments are listed as G4 minimum I am wondering if it would run on a G3 iBook at all. I don't care if I have to set all settings to very low. But as of now I have no game for my little Mac at all and I would like to have at least one FPS or a nice adventure. But I don't want to play the same games that I have already played on my PC.

So I am always happy if you have some recommendations - either FPS or adventures.

Cheers
    CmdrLaForge