NOLF2 for $9 at Compusa... No wonder

Discussion in 'Games' started by lssmit02, Apr 2, 2004.

1. lssmit02 macrumors 6502

Mar 25, 2004
    Just recently purchased a dual 1.8 G5. So I figured, hey, I deserve a good game, so I picked up No One Lives Forever 2 (without, I should admit, having read any reviews. I played NOLF, which was a fun game, and assumed that the sequel would be alright). Price was $9.99 at checkout, which really surprised me - not that old a game, and very few Mac games are ever less than $19.99 there. Well, I just discovered why it was so cheap - NOLF2 cannot run in Panther because of a quicktime problem that screws up the cut scenes.

I now see that it's been months since the problem was identified, and the only current fix is to downgrade to Quicktime 6.3, but you can't do that with Panther, because 6.4 is built into the operating system.

Has anyone identified a work around for Panther, or any idea when MacPlay will come out with a patch? Alternatively, what's the best FPS for the G5 right now?
  2. iShater macrumors 604

Aug 13, 2002
    If the UT2004 Demo I played last night is any indication, this game would be it!
  3. cubist macrumors 68020

Jul 4, 2002
    Muncie, Indiana
    That's weird, because NOLF plays just fine in Panther... and the game is all cutscenes to action, without the cutscenes you wouldn't know what to do. :( Is that the only cure? Going to some other screen resolution won't help?
  4. abhishekit macrumors 65816

Nov 6, 2003
    akron , ohio
  5. msbsound macrumors regular

Jul 16, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    I agree

medal of honor is by far my favorite both for single player and multiplayer.
  6. neonart macrumors 65816

Sep 4, 2002
    Near a Mac since 1993.
    Is there a MOH demo? How does it compare to Ghost Recon?

7. brooksfow macrumors newbie

Jun 4, 2002

You're lucky.

I wasted my $20 dot mac coupon on the stupid game, soon after it came out, from the Apple site. I played it a couple of times and couldn't figure out why the audio, which was a bunch of crazy conversations, wasn't matched up to the movie scene action, which was some fat guy swaying back and forth.

Thank goodness for ebay. I honorably warned potential buyers of all the problems listed on the game's web site and sold the game three days later at a loss of about 15 bucks. Arrest me if you want. You know good and well I burned a copy just in case they ever fix the stupid thing.

I don't play a lot of games on the Mac, but I thoroughly enjoyed Return to Wolfenstein, Medal of Honor, Diablo I and II, Tiger Woods, and a few titles from Pangea. I guess I was lucky with my choices, but I will never buy a brand new game again.

Apologies for the pointless rant. I feel better. I suppose I shouldn't be too upset. At least I've been more productive with my Mac time.
  8. clownfish macrumors newbie

Jan 10, 2003
    MOHAA is the one!

Yes, there are some more enhanced games than MOHAA, but for the thrill of the kill, stalking, ambushes, etc.. nothing beats this game in Multiplayer on the net.. IMHO. I wish there was a way to add some real pain though, to give it that paint-ball effect. In paint-ball, no one would run out in the middle of the street and take fire just to score one Kill. Too painful. I suggest a wrist strap that delivers an electric shock to you when you get hit! Yeh, now there would be a game worth playing! :rolleyes:
  9. blaster_boy macrumors 6502

Jan 31, 2004
    Funny, I seem to be the only one who liked it.

I *really* liked NOLF2 - but then, I played it and finished it on 10.2.8 and deliberately didn't upgrade my Quicktime when the upgrade came out....

Loved it really, haven't found another game that I like so much on the mac (now playing deux ex - invisible war on my pc, not a chance that that will get converted to mac I suppose).
  10. Veldek macrumors 68000

Mar 29, 2003
    Well, there has been a rumor some time ago, that both BF1942 and Deus Ex 2 are being ported by Aspyr. Now, BF1942 is confirmed. I wonder what this means for DX2?
  11. msbsound macrumors regular

Jul 16, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    Demo of MOH AA

I don't believe there is a demo of allied assault, but I could be wrong, it has been known to happen. I know there is a demo for the expansion pack, MOH:Spearhead, but you will need Allied Assault to play it.
  12. benpatient macrumors 68000

Nov 4, 2003
    DX2 would need a dual G5 or a single G5 with a 9800 Pro...

otherwise it would be unplayable past 800x600 at medium/low detail...
  13. lssmit02 thread starter macrumors 6502

Mar 25, 2004
    I know, I played NOLF in Panther too, without a hitch. But if you got to the support section for NOLF2 at, they mention the problem and that they're working on it. Their suggestion is to reinstall Quictime 6.3, which you can't do in Panther.

[edit: typos]